Thread: IBS concerns

IBS concerns

Hi there,

I was just wondering how you know whether or not you have IBS and can you suddenly get it from the thoughts you're having?

Because I do get a little windy when I'm in situations where I think it would be embarrassing to "let one rip" as it were, but not all the time, and that is all I can complain of and it doesn't bother me that much anyway.

But the other day I was worrying about going into work (although not as much as I used to in the past) and stuffing my face with food at the same time and ended up having to rush to the toilet with the big D, and worried I might still have an upset stomach at work the next day I did some research on the Internet about diarrhea and that's when I discovered IBS and saw that it linked to anxiety (which I suffer from) and how it's like a self fulling prophecy where by if you worry bout it so much it will happen. And so now on top of my anxiety and agoraphobia I'm worried that now I will also worry myself into IBS. It's bad enough worrying about having a panic attack away from home, but diarrhea as well?

Although I did go to work the next day worrying about the big D and nothing happened.

So is it possible that I don't or won't suffer from IBS and that I should stop worrying about worrying myself into needing the big D in public?

Re: IBS concerns

I wouldn't worry about IBS, as I think that it takes more than one case of the Big D to qualify. Anxiety can and does contribute to IBS. The important thing is to get a handle on your anxiety and your worry. What things are you doing to take care of yourself and to lessen your anxiety? Medication, CBT, Therapy, Mindfullness, Distraction, Journaling, Exercise...?

It's an interesting term because some people say they have IBS meaning that they get symptoms of digestive distress not necessarily that they have been diagnosed.
    Anxiety can cause the symptoms of IBS: i.e. loose bowels, D, wind, stomach pain but this can just be a passing thing like you say because you were worrying. This doesn't mean you have IBS just that you are having symptoms of anxiety.
    Of course some people have long term anxiety and a sensitive stomach and therefore the symptoms may become bad enough to go to a Dr , who may diagnose IBS through criteria and tests to rule out other things.
    Of course I can't say that you don't have IBS or might not get it, but it certainly sounds like for you this is just an anxiety response and so I wouldn't bother going through the bother of going to Dr, having tests etc unless it's something that occurs often enough to cause you concern.

Thanks for the replies I'm already feeling much better about it. I think it's just the hypochondriac in me that reads something and assumes it's going to happen to me.

Tanner40, in terms of what I'm doing to lesson my anxiety, I've tried many different things, I use medication for long journeys (beta blockers) which work well for me, I exercise daily, I've tried cbt which has also helped a lot but I with it I always get to this point where I feel like I've hit a brick wall and struggle to get past it and improve any more. My main problem is that I only feel comfortable leaving the house if I have a "safe person" and this is the issue that I feel needs addressing the most but it's just so hard :(

But thank you both for setting me straight about the IBS hope you're both well and both have a happy new year

Thread Information