Thread: Back to college back to anxiety

Back to college back to anxiety

Hi all
    For the past few days I have been doing brilliantly. I wake up excited for the day ahead and I have been occupying myself playing Sims and watching Sherlock (which was excellent) and other TV shows. I had a really positive outlook and when my 'breathless' anxiety struck I would simply ignore it and distract myself and was fine again. Now however my comfortable routine is being changed again. I go back to college and now I am anxious again. This has brought back the breathless feeling which it is harder to distract from again. I have now also started feelign a lot less positive. Im struggling to find anything to look forward to and now even Sims is losing its appeal. Currently I am feeling sad and anxious over breathing again, Ive got a tight throat and my tummy hurts. I am just so annoyed because everytime I start getting comfortable something changes and Im back in to the clutches of anxiety again. I am waiting and have been waiting for counselling for a very long time and I just cant bare the thought of college next week. I am also feeling detatched and almost dizzy like again. What can I do?

Re: Back to college back to anxiety

Pansa, you said it best. "You start getting comfortable again and something changes and you're back in the clutches of anxiety again". Thatsnthe rational voice talking and it's good to hear. You do know that this is all anxiety. Now, you just have to realize that anxiety is the fear of fear. It can't hurt you.

I recently had to step out of my comfort zone as some "out of the ordinary" issues arose. I found it helpful to listen to others suggestions on here and realize that I wasn't alone. I had to put aside the fear of being afraid and realize that I was strong enough to handle it. I had to realize that there would be setbacks and plan a way to handle them.

I found reading, Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway to be extremely helpful. I downloaded this onto my IPad and have found it to be a tremendous help. Everyone feels fear when they're routine is changed or they have to step out of their comfort zone. The whole idea is to broaden our comfort zone. Recognizing that everyone feels fear is an enormous relief. I know that sometimes, I make the fear out to be something greater than it is.

Thanks Tanner
    It is very hard because the constant changing situations combined with the breathless/dizzy/depersonalisation feeling makes it feel even more like its not real. I like to think my rational voice is stronger than the anxiety I handled a very bad situation extremely well the other day with hardly any anxiety at all. From the experience of being distrcated and having no probelms with my breathing I find that good to draw on when telling myself its just anxiety!

Good job, Pansa! Celebrate every victory. I know how hard it is to deal with. I'm sitting here, typing this message, feeling a bit outside of myself, feeling flushed, and slightly dizzy. While I know it's anxiety and normal tiredness from being up for most of last night, I continuously have to remind myself that I'm fine.
    Th more that we practice being okay with our anxiety, the easier it gets. I have to continually remind myself of that.

The fact that you have been able to have a nice Christmas break will help to give you the courage yu need to go back to college with a more positive attitude. Keep reminding yourself that it is just anxiety and that it is mind over matter and that you CAN beAt this! I'm in the exact same position.. I go back on Monday to 3 mock exams :( not good but we can do this! Let me know if you need to talk.. College is a stressful time!

Thread Information