Thread: Restarting

Question Restarting

Hi all.

I was wondering what side effect experiences people have had when starting fluoxetine for a second time. I had to taper off them and was down to one every three days when I fell pregnant! and so I stopped altogether. My son is now 4 weeks and I feel like I want to go back on them.

I have had panic and anxiety for the last 16 years, but started taken meds 4 years ago after it got too much after my last child was 10 months. The thing is last time I started them I couldn't eat, sleep, look after my kids, couldn't do anything really as anxiety got so bad. However, after I got used to them .i felt better than I ever had and could cope with things that I never could.

I am worried as I now have three children, two of which have to go to school, which I am struggling with taking them and obviously a new born.. My Husband is great but I know he is scared that I will get as ill as I did last Time with the side effects.

Basically I want people's opinions on whether I should go back on them, or should I try and get through this without. Not sure how as a family we would cope if I was out of action for a few weeks.

2. Re: Restarting

I couldn't eat, sleep, look after my kids, couldn't do anything really as anxiety got so bad. However, after I got used to them .i felt better...
    Hi loucom82

I`m afraid you can expect roughly the same. There seems to be a period of agitation and exaggerated symptoms two to four weeks after dosing 20mg or more. This can go on for anywhere from one week or as much a eight weeks until it subsides...and not until then will you know if your depression has remitted.

Considering your particular situation, I would avoid fluoxetine. Since anxiety is a major factor, best you stick with SSRI meds.
    Citalopram and Escitalopram have a reputation for a milder antidepressive unset over time then many of the others including fluoxetine. If you chose to take an SSRI, either of these would be your surest gamble.

If you don`t drink wine or beer and don`t mind avoiding some other 'tyramine containing foods, the MAOI antidepressant phenelzine is a good choice as well since it works quickly, (1-2 weeks to abate anxiety and 3-4 weeks abating depression.)
    Side effects can be almost non-existent or mild for many.(my experience...I took it for 16 years)
    You must at least comply with the dietary restrictions, although it is not as severe with phenelzine. You will have delayed orgasm if you are able to achieve it at all...but pleasure and desire are not effected as so with the SSRI drugs.

Thread Information