Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood in stools - petrified of colonoscopy

Re: Blood in stools - petrified of colonoscopy

I saw the consultant, he didn't even examine me. He told me I need a flexible sigmoidoscopy because of the mucus to be sure there's nothing wrong, and that it is a 5 - 10 minute procedure which he does on 13 year olds and that it doesn't hurt. I don't believe him. I have all the prep crap, I can't stop crying, I'm so scared.

He said he will put me as the very first person on the list, give me extra sedation for it and extra pain relief and stop anytime that i say the word if it hurts too much.

Mine did not hurt at all, you will be fine. When do you have it?

I really hope that it doesn't hurt at all. The leaflet I got said 'it shouldn't be too painful' and from what I've read online it's been described as 'the worst experience of my life' :(. I've never been more scared in my entire life.

I have to wait for an appointment letter so I don't know yet. I hope to god that it's very soon. I just want it over.

It may have been very slightly uncomfortable. The consultant told me everything he was doing and I even watched it on the monitor I was very anxious before it and I have a very low pain threshold but I would not be worried at all if I needed it doing again.

Which bit was the most uncomfortable? Was it going into the anus? Going into the bowel inside? The air? Is the air a sharp pain? Does it feel like an injection type pain? I got a voicemail yesterday from the hospital asking me to ring them about having it done on Thursday (23rd) so I have to wait til Monday now to see if that appointment's still available.

So my appointment has now been confirmed for Thursday January 23rd. I start the low fibre diet and the laxatives tomorrow. I really can't wait for this to be over. I hope I find the strength to go through with it.

For anyone reading this I just thought I'd update - I had the flexible sigmoidoscopy, this was clear but I continued to bleed. Next I had the full colonoscopy and I can promise you this is nowhere near as bad as you imagine it to be. I wasn't in any pain and I'm not lying to you. I had the drugs and I felt relaxed but not knocked out, I remember most of it too. x

and what were the results lele?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information