Thread: Advice appreciated - suffering with general anxiety

Advice appreciated - suffering with general anxiety

In September last year I started suffering spontaneously with general anxiety. I ended up taking some time off work, using propanalol to try and calm the symptoms and then eventually went back to work in October. I did fine up until Christmas, although the anxiety was always nagging so I spoke to my doctor about a more long term medication to deal with it. We agreed to put me on 20 mg prozac, which I took for three weeks, but the side effects I had were awful - no other word for it. My anxiety went through the roof and my insomina came back leaving me exhausted and feeling very low. I am off work again and the doctor has now taken me off prozac and put me on citalopram - 20 mg. I have taken this for 3 days now and my insomnia seems slightly better, although I am waking with terrible anxiety still which lasts most of the day (although does diminish). I am also really fidgety and have a lot of nervous energy.

Each day feels like it is lasting an eternity and I just cannot relax even with deep breathing exercises and some meditation. I have also started CBT, but it is early days. Anyone got any advice or can anyone help assure me that these side effects of the SSRIs will go and I will get there? Worried about taking more time off work and that I will not get better. Feeling pretty low about it all.

Re: Advice appreciated - suffering with general anxiety

Maybe SSRI's are not suitable for you. I tried them and they were no good for me. 3 days is too soon however to say if the citalopram will work or not, you need to give it a few weeks.
    Try not to worry about taking time off work, you may need to do this until the meds kick in. The chances are that if it was any other illness you would take the time off.
    You seem to be doing all the right things to help yourself to get better but remember it won't happen over night. Like any illness it takes time to get well again, just try to stay positive and you will get there.

Thanks Annie. Out of interest, did any meds work for you in the end or have you decided to go for natural remedies?

I take the older tricylic meds...dosulepin. It works well for me. I also use Bach rescue remedy.

Sounds like what I am going through at the moment , been put on 40 mg of citalipram now after 5 weeks on 20 but just don't see it ever getting better , tried a few others with no sucsess

3 days is very early though and think you should give it a bit more time to settle .

Thread Information