Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what can i expect when starting 20mg citalopram?

what can i expect when starting 20mg citalopram?

ive just been prescribed 10mg and im sooo nervous about taking them after reading horror stories. i am dealing with stress and anxiety. i dont get panic attacks but ive been dealing with dizziness which professionals are saying is due to stress so this is reallythe last thing i can try now. im going to start in the morning. am i going to have side effects as soon as i take the first one? im terrified can someone give me advice or success stories please xx

Re: what can i expect when starting 20mg citalopram?

The side effects ease with time, but it takes time to kick in - could be as much as 1 or 2 months. But you need to stick with it.

This is my 2nd or 3rd time on it - I used to take 10mg and then 20mg. I am on 40mg and my side effects are mainly nausea and sleep issues. I am 3 weeks in and overall I do feel more me than I have for ages. I still have my triggers and anxious times but I do feel better.

Good luck with it, you may need to experiment with when you take it.

Stay in touch

Marty

Been on them 8 days now, sure it was all in my head but first few days I felt light headed, and broke out in sweats, but that went off after about day 5, I take mine first thing in the morning as my GP said they could impact on my sleep which was bad to begin with, but the side effects were very mild for me, im on 20mg, good luck

thanks for replying. im going to take it in the morning as i get very anxious at night and this will make my anxiety worse just the fear of taking it. hoping it doesnt interfere with my sleep as i normally sleep really well. x

Quote Originally Posted by ddonaghey1989 View Post
    thanks for replying. im going to take it in the morning as i get very anxious at night and this will make my anxiety worse just the fear of taking it. hoping it doesnt interfere with my sleep as i normally sleep really well. x
    As I say, no bad experiences here so far, clear you mind (easy to say I know) and go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by itman View Post
    As I say, no bad experiences here so far, clear you mind (easy to say I know) and go with it.
    Spot on We are all different.

Don't forget recovery is a bumpy process. The times I could have thrown the damn things down the toilet was numerous.

I too was extremely apprehensive about taking them at first but I've had some of the best moments of the last decade recently whilst taking them, and some of the worst sadly - especially during start up but I've stayed strong.

It's a journey but if you want to find if they work for you or not it's definitely a 2 / 3 month process for some people.

NMP has been brilliant help for me.
    Last edited by teej; 17-01-14 at 08:43. Reason: Praise for NMP

Hi iv been on them for 4 weeks, but this is the 3rd time iv been on them. For the first few weeks I had a few side effects, dry mouth, sleep problems, increased anx, sweating but it will get better.

Everybody is different though, some people take them and have no effects

mandie x

i dont find ny anxiety terrible but the dizziness is awful and this can make me waken feeling sick and shaking alot its stopped me from going on nights out with friends and i dont want tongo on holidays or stay away from home as i cant relax. im just realising i wrote 20mg but im actually starting 10mg. i can deal with side effects bt not making dizziness or spaced out feeling worse im afraid of taking a panic attack as soon as i swallow the bloody thing :( soo frustrated x

I only had the dizziness & disorientation for the first week too, it's just your body getting used to the mediaction.

I was on 20mg for the first five weeks & have now been on 40mg for four weeks, as the lower dose just wasn't working for me. Luckily I didn't have any new side-effects at all when the dosage was increased & the only side effect that seems to have stuck around is generally needing more sleep.

I do yawn quite a lot nowadays, but most people I know have gotten used to me apologising that I am not commenting on their company

Hope you feel better soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information