Thread: Really struggling with health anxiety at the moment

Really struggling with health anxiety at the moment

Hello everyone,

This is my first proper post so I'm sorry if I ramble or don't make much sense.

I've always been a nervous / anxious person but just recently I've been getting into a blind panic about my health. it started with stomach pains that I've had on and off for a year.. Didn't really think much of it until recently i was reading through my pill packet and saw 'liver cancer' as one of the rare side effects.. Well obviously I jumped to that, I'd left it SO long I was in pieces. Finally went to the docs & she thinks gastritis so let's see if the antacids work!

I don't know what got me onto this (probably again, google) but I noticed a couple of my moles looked odd (I'm 26 and I've got tons of moles, my new worry :( ) and I have a dark one on my toe with isn't regular shaped and I'm so convinced it's melanoma and I'm going to die because it's been there a long time (but not my whole life) I just feel like I must be riddled with cancer. It's just the most horrible dread, which I'm sure a lot of you understand. I have work to do, I can barely concentrate. I'll go up to my docs first thing Monday (I'm sure they'll be so pleased to see me.. 3rd time in two weeks) but I feel like I'm not going to be able to get it out of my head all weekend :(

I feel like I almost HAVE to worry about these things.. If I don't worry I feel like I'm going to get caught out.. Does that make sense? Anyone else do that?

Sorry that was a bit of a ramble.

Argh I'm really struggling now I keep reading how a mole shouldn't be asymmetrical and this one is tear drop shaped so definitely not symmetrical. I also read about how stuff like this is on your foot is always bad news. I also have a freckle type thing on the sole of my foot! I just can't get this out of my head :(
    Last edited by cut_out_stars; 18-01-14 at 07:20.

Re: Really struggling with health anxiety at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by cut_out_stars View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first proper post so I'm sorry if I ramble or don't make much sense.

I've always been a nervous / anxious person but just recently I've been getting into a blind panic about my health. it started with stomach pains that I've had on and off for a year.. Didn't really think much of it until recently i was reading through my pill packet and saw 'liver cancer' as one of the rare side effects.. Well obviously I jumped to that, I'd left it SO long I was in pieces. Finally went to the docs & she thinks gastritis so let's see if the antacids work!

I don't know what got me onto this (probably again, google) but I noticed a couple of my moles looked odd (I'm 26 and I've got tons of moles, my new worry :( ) and I have a dark one on my toe with isn't regular shaped and I'm so convinced it's melanoma and I'm going to die because it's been there a long time (but not my whole life) I just feel like I must be riddled with cancer. It's just the most horrible dread, which I'm sure a lot of you understand. I have work to do, I can barely concentrate. I'll go up to my docs first thing Monday (I'm sure they'll be so pleased to see me.. 3rd time in two weeks) but I feel like I'm not going to be able to get it out of my head all weekend :(

I feel like I almost HAVE to worry about these things.. If I don't worry I feel like I'm going to get caught out.. Does that make sense? Anyone else do that?

Sorry that was a bit of a ramble.
    Well, you are at the very beginning of your HA issue. My advice is-get the ******* while he's still young. Start CBT and counselling immediately.

As for the moles-if it's small and/or was there for a long time and didn't change, you have nothing to worry about. Definitely not melanoma, 100%. I had melanoma fear-spent a week in front of the bloody mirror looking whether my moles had changed.

As for cancer phobia-just remember the simple truth which will dispel the illusion-if you had two untreated cancers for a year, you would be six feet under

Quote Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
    Well, you are at the very beginning of your HA issue. My advice is-get the ******* while he's still young. Start CBT and counselling immediately.

As for the moles-if it's small and/or was there for a long time and didn't change, you have nothing to worry about. Definitely not melanoma, 100%. I had melanoma fear-spent a week in front of the bloody mirror looking whether my moles had changed.

As for cancer phobia-just remember the simple truth which will dispel the illusion-if you had two untreated cancers for a year, you would be six feet under
    Thanks for the response Andrash. I wish I knew if they changed or not I haven't been paying enough attention to them - until now! :( I need to talk to my doc about CBT - definitely think I need it.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymoley View Post
    I'm pretty much the same at times and I definitely understand the whole I must worry to avoid being caught out. I would avoid google for symptoms, they always show the worst and least likely thing it could be. The mind is powerful and can convince you into experiencing symptoms which don't mean anything.
    I can't get over how powerful the mind is actually. It's quite amazing. I know I should stay off google, I'm literally drawn to it no idea why I keep doing this :(

Trying to be logical, what are the chances that minor stomach issues for a year are liver related as opposed to gastric related? As said, untreated liver cancer would have thrown up more symptoms by now. They have to mention absolutely everything on medical info sheets, or be sued.

I had a mole that got swollen and red. Turned out to be infected. If the mole has been there a long time and not changed, it's not cancerous.

You're right Saab of course and thank you for taking the time to reply. I don't know if the moles have changed or not because I haven't been checking them really :(

Thread Information