Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopam + weight gain

Re: Citalopam + weight gain

I'm convinced that Citalporam is stopping my weight loss.

I've been on it before and I put on weight every time.

I now have a gastric band but had to go back on the tablets about 3 months ago and my weight loss as literally stopped.

I tried cutting back my dose but I'm just a mess again.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

I have not gained much weight at all since starting on 20mg 3 months ago. Maybe 1lb or 2lbs but nothing significant no matter what I eat. Which is a shame really as I am skinny as a rake at 5ft7 and 9st.

I am currently on 20mg Citalopram, i have been on them for nearly 6 weeks and are still waiting for them to work.

This is the 2nd time i have been on them, the first time i was on them was when i was on the pill 'noriday', the 2nd time and current time i am currently on them whilst being in the first month of having the 'implanon' implant, i have put on more than a stone in weight despite being on a fitness programme through the doctors and going to my local gym at least twice a week, i feel worse than when i first started taking the pills.....i dont know if this is just a barrier i have to get through, but i am pretty fed up with how rubbish i feel

My name is Christina. I was prescribed Citalopram 2007, since then I have gained 1 1/2 stones and have been struggling to lose weight. I have been exercising but lately had to reduce the amount of activities I do due to the fact that my neck went into spasm. Having read other articles, I strongly feel that it is the meds. Please advise what alternatives can I take for my headaces. I will be visiting my gp soon to try and come off the meds, but I am a bit scared.

Ive put on 1stone since i started on it .But I had lost a stone before ,so im back to normal.I do have to watch what i eat now,which is something I never had to do before A lot of people gain weight on ssri,s.Were you put on Cit for headaches ? Walking is one of the best forms of excercise ,briskly if you are up to it . Sue x
    Last edited by suzy-sue; 09-10-09 at 00:16.

Hi
    This thread has got me a bit worried as i have lost a stone in just over a month on cita. I was blaming the meds but as everyone seems to be putting weight on im starting to wonder, take care all x

I've lost half a stone in the last 8 weeks or so - 5 of which I've been on citalopram. Not good, as I am now down to 7.5 stone and look like a bag of bones.
    My problem is that I have totally lost my appetite since starting on the pills - not sure if it's the actual medication, or the fact that I can't eat when I'm anxious.
    Either way, I hate it - I don't even want chocolate, and all my clothes are hanging off me.

Hiya
    I know how you feel i need a new wardrobe as all my clothes are hanging off me and im am quite small so i cant afford to lose anymore weight. I have to agree since starting cita my appetite has not been as good but i dont think its been that bad to cause me to lose so much weight. take care x

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    David, apparantley Prozac is the only one that doesnt put weight on and can have the opposite effect - if only that med agreed with me - lol

its so depressing that it has the weight effect
    I was on Prozac (Fluoxetine) for 7 years & I went from a size 14 to a 18/20 & gained about 3 stone!!!
    I have now changed to Citalopram, in the last few days. But after reading this it looks as if the weight gain issue, is going to be the same :(
    I did read somewhere that 'Wellbutrin' doesn't have weight gain as a side effect.
    Cath x

When I stopped Cipralex before I very quickly saw a decrease in the 'moon face' I had developed which I am stone cold convinced was meds related.

Now sadly I'm back on it so that's all gone down the swanny again....moon face here i come.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information