Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Citalopam + weight gain

Talking Re: Citalopam + weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by jaded jean View Post
    my sweet consumption rate has rocketed
    LOL - I can relate to this. I have found that it's almost cyclic though, in as much as the sweet cravings come and go. Man-sized portions, what are those? I've been dealing strictly with elephantine portions!

Recently I've discovered that the more healthy food I eat, the more healthy food I want to eat and I'm not feeling as tempted by the sweet stuff as I used to be - going with plenty of fruit during the day I think is a smart move, although be very careful because fruit also contains large amounts of sugar...

Will we ever win?

Peace.

Rich

Re: Citalopam + weight gain

Hi Richw.
    No we wont win - the body is very cunning!!! I agree with some fruit having the higher suger content but as it is a higher fibre thing I am looking for as well I dont mind. Elephantine portions??? McDonalds do them dont they ??lol
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by suzy-sue View Post
    Well the day didnt exactly start on a good note today .I did my weekly weigh in and low and behold ..YET ANOTHER 2LBS ..of increased weight ..I have been on this for 2years ,gone from 35mg down to 20mg .Surely i should be starting to lose it not put more on ? I dont eat much and keep pretty active .I feel sorry for anyone who isnt thin to start with .Im going to cut out certain foods this week and see what difference it makes .Wish me luck .. sue
    Don't weigh yourself. I haven't weighed myself for about three years.

I don't think what you eat has a massive input, its well documented side effect and everyone else here is experiencing it for you. Its something to do with the drugs effect on the body.

What might help is eating little and often, the body actually uses quite a lot of calories to digest food.

Nope, still going up!

Fatboy over and out

Rich

Since starting Cit I've lost about 7lb (over 5 months) which isn't much and given what I've been doing (moving house and eating on the fly) I would expect to have lost a lot more than that, but now I've stuck there. I was a bit overweight to begin with so I've been trying to lose a bit more and have been keeping active but the biscuit tin keeps calling me! I sometimes eat half a pack in one go...

My appetite was a little bit reduced to begin with but now it's sort of levelled off to normal but I can't seem to do without regular sugary food like biscuits and chocolate.

Ah well..... better a few pounds extra than lying in bed all day.

I am 39 years of age and went to the doctors when i felt that i was no longer in control of me anymore and was some screaming woman at the kids, husband was not eating, sleeping etc etc the list is endless. The Doctor perscribed Citalopam the first 20mg made me feel so much better i could see things more clearly without the need to stress out. Over the next few months this decreased until i am now on 40mg and have been for the past 2 years. I was a fitness fanatic, completed numerous triathlons and a healthy size 10 upon taking Citalopam. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I do like a Larger at the weekends which i always did prior to taking Citalopom, and since taking Cital i have gained 1 1/2 stone and my size 12 are begining to get tight. All the weight is round my stomach and love handles. I do eat a healthy diet. This is now getting me so down in the dumps as ok i am not some raving loony anymore and i know i should be grateful that this drug has helped me so much but i just want to get back to how i was (maybe i am over everything and need to come of them now if i am thinking like this) After Reading these posts i am seriously considering just coming of them or halving the tablet for a few weeks until i get to zero. As if this carries on and how ridiculous this sounds i will need to up my tablets to 60mg so i don't care what i look like.

Clare

Quote Originally Posted by cbodard View Post
    I have put on a stone and a half since starting on citalopram 18 months ago- I've also been doing a lot of comfort eating which of course it mainly to blame but I'm not sure if the excessive cravings for sweet stuff is due to the citalopram or if it isn't connected. Has anyone else found that they 'need' sweet stuff when they have taken citalopram?
    Yep, me. First 2 weeks on Cit, I lost 8lbs, due to heightened anxiety but 3 months in, I am on a dose that suits me (25mg), and I have put that weight back on plus another stone. I was thinking of taking Chromium Piccolate, supposed to regulate your blood sugar levels?

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by heavenly View Post
    I was thinking of taking Chromium Piccolate, supposed to regulate your blood sugar levels?
    I don't want to put you off but TBH I'd recommend looking into the possible side effects before you try it Heavenly x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

We all seem to have the same problem around our middle ..I was a size 10 and now am 12 ..I did go down to an 8 when I was ill .Too skinny tho .I feel horrible as I cant wear tight things anymore .I get sugar cravings and never did before I went on this ..I do try hard tho not to eat much .Im going on a strict diet and see what happens ,,If this doesnt go im gonna have lippo ...sue x

Yeah i have started gaining a lot of weight and Citalopam must be the culprit.

I have gained 12-13 lbs in the last 6 weeks alone. I have just started weight lifting again so maybe this could be contributing as well.

Really hope i don't put on too much more as i'm 205lbs as it is!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information