Thread: how does anxiety effect the unborn baby?

how does anxiety effect the unborn baby?

I'm 11weeks pregnant and just started a new job. I'm so scared I've made a mistake with something at work but my husband says I can't have because of what I've told him. So anxious - been a week now. Does anxiety have an impact on the pregnancy? I was on citalopram but stopped a year ago to get pregnant and have been ok up until now with only the odd glitch. What can I do? :-(

Re: how does anxiety effect the unborn baby?

Congratulations on your pregnancy firstly!

I'd recommend going to visit your GP and talking about it They also want what is bst for the baby and can help you find ways to manage your anxiety throughout the pregnancy.

Re: how does anxiety effect the unborn baby?

Congrats X

Yes it does! I discoverd I was pregnant March last year 2013 BUT 2011 breakdown out of no where ( i know why )severe panic attacks ad to quit my post grad studies & people have always perceived me as a very strong confident person. So that tells u how bad I was. I ended up agrophobic 6 mths. Would only by neccesity drive less than a mile for sch run & run in and out of tesco forgetting many items - was a nervous wreck!

So back to last year surprise 3 rd pregnancy & I was in a much better place than previous years! Obviously in uk the midwives go through all medical history etc & she recommended CBT if I thought I needed it BUT again by time I had it ( as she said ) baby prob born due to waiting lists - SO I declined.

I had a clot at 9 weeks ambulance came , I had 2 months of severe sickness morning through till night! Easter I was bed bound my poor kid had to fend r themselves most of the day. Then summer was ok but I had a couple of bad migraines, stressor my daughter starting secondary school, hubby took voluntary redundancy & by the time autumn set in I was sooooooo wound up I didn't harly go anywhere, visual disturbances & severe pelvic pain!!!!!

So labour 3 days up down from hospital triage, sent home with waters broken ( my story on here in more detail) anyway by the time baby born on fri 22nd November 2013 I was convinced I was going to die and I came home Saturday & woke up to feed baby &i couldn't breath!! Panic set in made it soooooo worse!

I THINK - anxiety therefore did affect my labour! And baby! My other 2 labours soooo much easier on the day I got twinges they were born! And coinsidently I had my other 2 kids before I was a GAD sufferer!

3 months on NOW - after all the winter bugs and my baby already 14 wks this Friday I feel like I wished my pregnancy away so much - I've missed out! I also feel sad by the labour and birthing experience on the back of my bad pregnancy! Sat here now happy it's over BUT ONCE AGAIN robbed by panic/anxiety !!!

Get all the help u can

Thread Information