Thread: LETTING GO..... HOW?

LETTING GO..... HOW?

Ive been feeling much better lately thanks to all the new techniques Ive learnt to deal with my anxiety.

To recover even further Id like to know how to let go of all the 'bad' times,which for me have been many. No matter how well I feel,these memories are always lurking in the background.

One example is that I spent time in a womens refuge whilst married to my ex husband. No matter how I tell myself that this is in the past and that at that time it was for my and my childrens safety, it wasnt my fault, and I should forget it and move on,I keep thinking about it.Sometimes Im cooking,cleaning or showering and it just pops in my head.
    There are more 'bad memories' too and I just want to know how to let go, do others just bury them deep inside or what?
    I hope this makes sense to someone on here.
    julie x

Hi Julie, I had similar thoughts for a very long time. I did get over them eventually but only through changes in my life. Every time I had time alone or felt a bit down the thoughts would come flooding back. It's really hard to forget things completely, but I've found that anxiety plays a big part in bringing these thoughts to the forefront of our minds. We all suffer from anxiety for one reason or another; my anxiety and panic attacks started after a really horrible break-up with my partner which I too felt was through no fault of my own. I ended up getting carted off in a Police van with my 3 children (my youngest was a babe in arms at the time) because my ex assaulted me with a baseball bat. The thoughts don't hurt me any more, they are just an "inconvenience" if you like. I keep telling myself that nothing like that will ever happen to me again and the memories have faded.

I hope you get to this point too. You can overcome these thoughts eventually, not to the point where you will never think about them again, but where they won't hurt you any more and make you feel unhappy.

Take care.

Les x

Hi Julie

I have found that its sometimes hard to let these bad things go and they do just pop into your mind don't they? But I also find that as time passes they don't pop in quite so often, we just need to have patience (which personally I find quite difficult!)

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Thread Information