Thread: Depression or just plain miserable?

Depression or just plain miserable?

Hi Guys,

Do any of you ever wonder sometimes that you might not be suffering from depression, it just might be that you are miserable because you are unhappy with the way your life is turning/has turned out?

I've thought for years that I suffered from depression, but to be honest, I'm beginning to wonder now. I only get these "bouts" when something goes wrong in my life; don't get me wrong, they could go on for months because of the way I think and feel, but is it really depression or is it just because things aren't going the way I want them to, which makes me miserable??

I'm 40, single mum of 3 (18, 9 and 5 yrs old) and work full-time. I have a very stressful job and I would consider myself as extremely funny, caring, easy-going, but I become obsessed with things sometimes, like my last relationship. It wasn't him I was obsessed with, it was because he made me mad over certain things, just trivial things that we didn't agree on, but I was like a dog with a bone that wouldn't let go. In the end I pushed him too far and he left me, probably the biggest mistake of my life. Was I depressed after that or was I just miserable, unhappy if you like and lonely? I'm still lonely; it's not easy being on your own with 3 kids ( my eldest is 18 but she's out with her b-f and mates most of the time) craving adult conversation and a bit of company.

Do I need to take meds for just being miserable? Do you understand what I'm talking about or am I losing the plot here?

Any advice most welcome.

Les, xx

Hi Les,

I think we all go through wee stages of being miserable. I don't think your losing the plot I know cos I lost it years ago lol. I don't think you need meds as this is just one of those wee blips your going threw at the moment and you will feel better very soon I'm sure of it. Keep us posted and I'm thinking of you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Hi Les,

I appreciate what you are saying however the power of the mind has really freaked me out since I became depressed last year. This really wasn't just feeling low, its so much more. The lack of self respect, the not able to cope with the everyday things in your life, the wanting to withdraw from the world and everyone and everything you know!! I feel all these things are more than just feeling low.
    Now, I have never got as depressed as I did last Summer but I truely put this down to the medication however yes i've become low since. I feel its quite a grey area due to every one being different with their coping mechanisms and how they describe situations.
    Some people can flippantly say 'oh i'm so depressed' becasue maybe they believe they are! I can see what you are saying and you appear to have a tough busy life but I also believe (in my opinion only) you know when you are struggling enough to say enough is enough, I can't do this alone anymore! This is the stage I go to when I sought help from the GP. I was scared of what I may do if I hadn't although I couldn't just 'go' to the GP it took a letter due to having withdrawn so much.

Les I hope you are feeling a bit lighter and are getting a bit clearer from reading here on the forum. I don't feel anti depressants should be taken lightly however, when they are needed and the right ones found they can help us move on and cope with what wasn't coped with before.

Sorry to ramble on, I also feel an awesome way to offload is to express truely how you feel here on the forum and in chat so keep positng.

love Sax xxx

Try this..

Depression

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Thread Information