Thread: Upper abdomen tightness/discomfort

Upper abdomen tightness/discomfort

I'm having a weird issue concerning epigastric (just below the sternum) tightness (discomfort/mild cramp), tense and generally feeling unwell/down. I had a total abdominal CT with contrast (liquid and IV) about 4 weeks ago looking for Kidney stones, they found 1, 4mm, with no other issues found according to the doctors report. However shortly after the CT (next day) I developed diarrhea, I assumed from the liquid contrast. 4 days after I had severe stomach cramps for 1 day, since then I have had bloating both lower and upper abs, and now this strange epigastric tightness, sternum area. It feels as though I am tense there, cannot relax my muscles, I also get a mild burning sensation in the stomach too. This may be related, I get a slight breathlessness and a feeling something is stuck in the throat, mid chest level....lying down helps eases the pressure, and antacids dont seem to help that much if at all. I have suffered a bout IBS in my early 30's for 6 months, now i'm in my mid 40's and not had it since then.

I am regular stool wise, normal colour and with changeable consistency... normal appetite and no apparent weight loss but people do say I look thinner. I'm not losing weight as such, seem to hover around 73kg but my face definitely looks gaunt.

I am a nervous person, and know currently I am having health anxieties but I'd like some feedback on whether anyone else has suffered from this type of issue, a tightness, knot, discomfort in the slow sternum area and how did you cope?

Could these physical symptoms be all down to anxiety?

Re: Upper abdomen tightness/discomfort

I am having exactly the same and some slight nausea feelings too. My doctor has given me ppi's but am still having these problems. He seems to think it's all anxiety but having HA I don't! Been really bad today but I have been very stressed as my husband had an endoscopy today and I had to go to the hospital with him to bring him home. He wasn't at all worried! I, on the other hand, had to practice deep breathing exercises just to walk into the hospital! So worried I might have to have one. Hopefully someone else can post on here. Good luck x

Hi Jilly

Yes my nausea is so slight I didn't even bother to mention it... I seem to have a totally tense abdomen all the time, if I concentrate and relax, I can feel the whole area release its tension. However the moment I stop concentrating its back. I find sitting the worse, walking and lying down really help reduce the pressure. Also though having the tenseness, the discomfort and pain isn't constant, which is weird, it comes and goes.

How do you sleep, do you wake with it, do you get the mild burning in the region too?

Sorry to fire these questions at you, just interested.

My anxiety is really out of control! I've had a bad year of it. Just when I thought I was making some headway I had awful stomach pains after eating too many nuts. First of all I coped OK but then had some emotional problems (basically family fed up with my anxiety) and felt really sick after eating. Then the hideous burning started. The doctor said it was indigestion and so did two nurse practitioners, but I had never experienced anything like it and went into total melt down. Convinced at first it was an ulcer and kept checking after I'd been to the loo, scared I was going to vomit blood etc etc. Since then it's just about every serious disease. The burning is not so bad now (same place as you) but I do still feel slightly nauseous and am getting anxious about eating. Mine seems to come and go too. Some days it's not too bad, then comes back again and I freak out again and, of course, it gets much worse! I haven't slept well for ages but I think that's anxiety. When I first had this (a few weeks ago now) I did wake up in the night with it. There is a lot about anxiety causing too much stomach acid. If only I could believe that and relax! X

I'm sure my anxiety is mostly to blame, I'm trying to convince myself that the recent full abdomen CT scan 'with contrast' would have highlighted something serious. Plus all was well up until the scan, no stomach issues prior, the barium seems to have started the upset stomach, and my mind did the rest!

I understand that Ulcers often have other symptoms (other than pain and burning type indigestion) blood in vomit and stools. Plus they are often calmed by antacids, which have no effect on me.

If I have something, im erring on the reflux or gastritis.. have you thought about those options?

Yes, in my less irrational moments I too think it is reflux or probably gastritis! Probably if I wasn't so stressed the ppi's would do their job better.

Well saw the doctor finally, my symptoms changed somewhat over the weekend, got more acidy and nauseous. Doctor suspects 'dyspepsia' so Im now on omeprazol, also a endo is booked in a couple of weeks.

Had my endoscopy today, inflammation of the duodenum 'diagnosed with duodenitis...suspected bacterial infection.

All else normal!

Thread Information