Thread: Certain I have vulva cancer

Certain I have vulva cancer

I feel so so angry with myself right now. I have health anxiety, but the one symptom I really should have got checked out, I didn't.

I have lumps in each of my outer labia. They are large lumps, just next to my clitoris. Also, the skin around there is darker than the rest of the skin. It doesn't hurt or itch, so I think that rules out cysts.

Thing is, I have had these lumps for years. No I've just read about vulva cancer and am absolutely certain tat this is what I have. I have searched and searched and have found nothing to say that lumps here are normal. I am absolutely terrified. I think I've killed myself by not saying anything to the doctor. I just thought that because I've had them for years, they are probably normal for me, but now I think that there's no reason for them to be there so they can't be normal.

It does say on the NHS website and other medical websites that vulva cancer is rare and that it's even more rare in young women (I'm 24) , but still, it does happen.

I really don't know what to do with myself right now. It's 2am and I can do nothing about it right now. I'm so so so scared. How do I calm myself down tonight? I have an essay due for tomorrow that I was working on, but I can't focus on that at all now. I'm so scared.

---------- Post added at 02:00 ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 ----------

And when I say for years, mean at least 4 years. And the skin has been darker for this amount of time too. But it does say that vulva cancer can take years to develop.

Re: Certain I have vulva cancer

Lumps are extremely common in the genital region, and vulvar cancer is extremely rare. In general, the skin on your vulva is heavily vascular, so anything that stretches it--like a lump--makes it darker. You've described none of the significant signs of vulvar cancer (I have a disease that makes me much more prone to it, so I pay attention to this). Cysts are often painless, as are milia (like cysts except with keratin).

Have you had a gyno exam any time during these last four years? And are you sexually active and/or on any hormonal medications?

Thank you for your reply. I was checked there last about 4 years ago for something else, but the doctor didn't check the vulva. I had an abdominal x ray a few months back which included the pelvis, but I don't think it would show on that. I am sexually active but not on any hormonal medication. I was on the pill a few years back, but only for about 6 months.

I'm mostly worried because these lumps aren't on the skin, they are in the labia and feel quite big.

For tonight (the rest of this morning) I'm just going to tell myself how rare it actually is to get vulva cancer. The chances of getting it at all are slim, and the chances of getting it at my age are so so slim. That's what I'll tell myself until I get it checked anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredy_Cat View Post
    I'm mostly worried because these lumps aren't on the skin, they are in the labia and feel quite big.
    Labia minora are pretty much solid skin. They're mucus membrane skin, so they've got a lot of pores for secretions, but they're still skin. (Labia majora are skin with a little fat pad.)

I once thought I had cancer of the vulva because I had itching there that would not go away despite any treatment. I even had a biopsy and all was fine. I am sure you are too. In fact the fact you have the lumps in both implies to me its probably normal!! The first thing I do if I find a lump somewhere I have another such as breast is see if there is one on the opposite side. If there is I relax!

I have this too. I've had it check by a gyno and Said its just normal! This area is full of lumps and bumps and she said as thought or was ligaments!

My understanding is that vulva cancer typically presents with itching and a discolored patch of skin (generally white), not as a lump or bump of any kind.
    Maybe you have genital warts.
    Maybe you have cysts (which can be and usually are painless).
    Maybe, if you have the same thing on both sides, this is just part of your normal anatomy?
    I've noticed that the shape of my vagina/vulva has changed with age and childbearing.
    Could this be the case with you?

Thread Information