Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propranolol Vs Slow Release Propranolol

Propranolol Vs Slow Release Propranolol

Hi,

I was originally prescribed 60mg of propranolol to be taken in 20mg batches 3 times per day (For Anxiety) after working well for the first 2 months I started taking them less and less before eventually stopping. I then had a major relapse just before xmas!

I know it clearly states that you should speak to the doctor before stopping the medication but saying as i reduced the dose i figured that I was probably doing what the doctor wouldve said to do anyway!?

Anyway, I went back to the GP to inform them of my relapse and I was prescribed Bedranol? which is Propranolol but 80mg in a 1 per day slow release capsual. Although its the same medication it has effected me in a completely different way!? Has anyone else experienced this?

I actually persevered with the slow release for 3 weeks. I went back on the 20mg 3 times a day and i feel much better!

Is this mind over matter?! Has anyone else had both forms of the medication?

Marc

Re: Propranolol Vs Slow Release Propranolol

Hi I've had both types and the slow release did nothing to help me at all, i now take 40mg twice a day and its helping my anxiety, i much prefer the standard release to the slow release x x

Hi iv had both types first ones were 20mg three times aday they didnt help me ,im now on 80mg slow release they are working well but everyone is different x

Thanks for both of your replies! Like I say I don't know if it's psychological but the standard release suit me much more for instance my mood isn't as gloomy and I have more enthusiasm. I suppose were all different!
    X

My cousin swears by the slow release ones but i prefer the standard as if i feel a panic coming on i Take one and it helps calm me especially the physical symptoms x x

I am on 80MG slow release and find it works for blushing. You can feel it warring of at certain stages of the day then kicking in again. It gives me a really relaxed feeling which is great.

I've also been on both types of propranolol and currently on 40mg a day in the form of two 20mg tablets taken in the morning and evening and ive been better with this over the last 2 years. Previous to this I was on one 80mg slow release pill that I took each morning and had horrendous side effects, mainly that I would get quite breathless and lightheaded when I was walking and had weight gain totally out of proportion to what I was eating (apparently it interferes with insulin levels which can lead to blood sugar problems). Even though the slow release pills are meant to last the whole day, I believe that instead of it being a steady flow of meds, there is a surge when first taken which can make some people feel bad.

i felt utterly pukey with stomach cramps on the 'fast' release after just 3 days i could take no more and was then prescribed 'slow release' which was gentler on my tummy

Hi, anyone know where can I buy the slow release capsules?

BEDRANOL SR is a scam. It is deemed bioequivalent, yet it has got so many adverse effects. It is produced using cheap ingredients, yet its proper equivalent does not have anything such.

More could be found here: nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150932

I would urge everyone to get in touch with the medical authority here in the UK, the HMRA. Their email for investigation of failing and inefficient medications is gmpinspectorate(at)mhra.gsi.gov.uk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information