Thread: what to say to doc about my blood pressure? trust home monitor?

what to say to doc about my blood pressure? trust home monitor?

Very brief recap:
    Saw doc for checkup. Had high BP (155 over 100). Not a surprise, had this 2 yrs ago, did 24hr monitor, all was ok. I avoided taking it for 2yrs and was super nervous.

He told me to take it myself for one month. I bought a monitor. At first I would get high readings initially (160 over 100) and they would come down after a few minutes to high 130's, low 140's.

Each week the avg seemed to come down. Now I get 120's or even lower. Good right? Well I doubt my monitor because I don't even get any readings higher than 133 now. Did I just get used to it?

I took it at drug store yesterday. Was very anxious. Got 165 over 100. After a bit it came down to high 140's but not lower. When I got home, it was 133 on my machine.

What do I tell doc? I really don't want to do 24hr monitor again. My wife thinks my home machine is good (she tried it and it was ok on her) and I should trust that.

Re: what to say to doc about my blood pressure? trust home monitor?

Robin I'm exactly like you, about eight years ago went to the docs with a throat infection , she took my bp it was through the roof , after a couple of week a,put on meds on them for a couple of weeks they took my bp again still through the roof , put on stronger meds felt so dizzy I felt I would pass out, bought a bp monitor ( not a cheep one ) getting low readings it was found I had white coat syndrome ! And I can't have any one in the room when taking it? Some times it takes a couple of goes before it lowers , to me like me it's the anxiety of having it done mate.

Thanks! It helps to know I am not alone. Did you stay on meds?
    I just don't know if I should trust the home monitor. I could buy another....

Quote Originally Posted by robin321 View Post
    Very brief recap:
    Saw doc for checkup. Had high BP (155 over 100). Not a surprise, had this 2 yrs ago, did 24hr monitor, all was ok. I avoided taking it for 2yrs and was super nervous.

He told me to take it myself for one month. I bought a monitor. At first I would get high readings initially (160 over 100) and they would come down after a few minutes to high 130's, low 140's.

Each week the avg seemed to come down. Now I get 120's or even lower. Good right? Well I doubt my monitor because I don't even get any readings higher than 133 now. Did I just get used to it?

I took it at drug store yesterday. Was very anxious. Got 165 over 100. After a bit it came down to high 140's but not lower. When I got home, it was 133 on my machine.

What do I tell doc? I really don't want to do 24hr monitor again. My wife thinks my home machine is good (she tried it and it was ok on her) and I should trust that.
    I don't see any reason you should not trust the readings. It's apparent that certain situations give you a raised reading (White Coat Syndrome) and as soon as you're removed from the situation you calm down. What would be a valid reason to doubt the readings? Why not trust all is Ok and move on?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Fishmanpa.
    I will try to do that. I am not super anxious about it, I just want to make sure I get treatment if I need it, and don't get something that I don't need (or that can hurt me).

Thread Information