Thread: Cbt advice please

Cbt advice please

I have my first cbt appointment tonight. My problem is that I believe I am a horrible person and I have unpleasant thoughts. I obsess about things and cant switch off. Would cbt be any good? I am scared of it making it worse.
    Can anyone share their experiences? Thank you.

Re: Cbt advice please

I think CBT is great! It helps you to change your thoughts and to see that sometimes your thoughts are worse than the real situation so I think it will be good for you. You've nothing to lose by going.

Hi allalone,
    Just a quick message to see how your CBT went? my own experiences of CBT are positive and found the whole process very helpful with thought patterns, conditions of worth and formative history.
    Blessings
    mystics

CBT sounds like the right thing for the problems you're facing. It's all about challenging those unpleasant thoughts.

If you're worried that CBT may cause you to overanalyse - I personally had this problem, but it all depends on what kind of person you are! - then you could ask your therapist about using mindfulness techniques, which I found very helpful for helping me to stop ruminating and analysing everything.

From what I've heard, CBT is the best therapy for most people with anxiety-related issues, but if you find that you are not able to change your beliefs through CBT you could always ask to be referred for integrative therapy that mixes CBT with some more psychodynamic therapies (this means you will look into your past to see why you think the way you do, which can be an important step to changing your beliefs for some people) but really these are options for if you don't feel 100% better after CBT.

There isn't a cureall for everybody basically, but CBT is an excellent place to start and I've never met someone who didn't get anything from it at all! But make sure you are open and honest with the therapist. If you are having trouble changing unhelpful beliefs, then let them know, as they can try other techniques or refer you to a different kind of therapy. They're the experts in this

ThNk you so much for your replies. I ended up postponing my appointment until next week but have had a big set back so need to go. I feel so horrible after I had a horrible intrusive thought. Sitting here in a state now :-( I need a way out

Hello

Hope you're ok. This intrusive thought, whatever it is believe me I'm sure one of us here has had it and worse.

Intrusive thoughts are hell. I haven't tried cbt yet but I'm going to start one of the online courses. Have you thought about them?

I like the concept of mindfullness too, wish I had more advice for you but just wanted to say you're not alone xxxx

Thank you so so much. Itt really means a lot people replying to me x x

It wont harm you to try CBT. At a minimum it will help you to recognise the processes involved to determine if there is a trigger and try to rationalise it and set goals.

Its not a cure as mentioned, its knowledge with a toolbox for you to use to try and get better. It didnt work enough to be called successful for me but it dig fill in some gaps knowledgewise, give me more tools and I tool sone things away. I also found myself working against goals I couldnt achieve in my CBT but at a later date.

Thread Information