Thread: Anybody Else A Compulsive Pulse Taker? UGH!

Anybody Else A Compulsive Pulse Taker? UGH!

I hate being afraid..there is something wrong with my heart.I get scared if its not beating fast and get scared if its beating slow..I take it and the last few days I have been taking my pulse so often I cannot concentrate on anything. I started watching a movie today and had to put it on pause over and over to make sure that my heart was beating not to fast.My heart beats normal 72 during the daytime but for some reason i woke up this morining with it beating a little faster than normal.I took it.. and it seemed pretty normal but for the last few days I have really been obsessing taking it every few minutes..I suppose its cause I can hear it in my head.. it sounds like it beats for the most part normal but it sounds sometimes like its hiccuping...but with a regular beat..I wonder if its just because I can hear it that I might be imaganing a sound that doesn't sound right..I usually am pretty calm or not real paniky all the time but the last few days I have felt a nervousness that I cannot explain.I woke during my sleep and felt really bad..I am not sure exactly how to describe it ..but maybe it was just because of the way i was sleeping..The last few nights I have woke earlier than normal and felt this way..I also notice a little nervousness before sleep..I don't know why im feeling this way but hearing the pulse more makes me worry more.. I know that there are others that said that hearing the pulse is a part of anxiety..When you hear yours does it sound or feel like maybe its coming from the back of your head or neck?I get worried that maybe its an artery that the doctors didn't notice that actally makes this sound in my ears.. But it makes me continually aware of my heart beating and also makes me nervous and I check my pulse.Its like I cannot stop.. I suppose by now if there was really something wrong with me it would have made me quite ill ,I suppose I should just let it go.. but i have always been a secret pulse taker.. and its getting worse..I wish so much that i could just stop..and will try .. Watching a movie tonight although in the first of it i kept stopping it I did better at the middle to last..Maybe I need distractions to make me stop this...I don't know,just wish I didn't hear it all of the time..

Hi looking, I used to do this constantly, in fact for yearsI would take it at work casualy so people dint notice and spent many hours a day running to the toilet and taking it there. I was also to scared to do any exersize or any physical wark in case I got a heart attack. I think I done it that long I realised that there couldnt be anything wrong becouse if there was it wouldnt have gone on this long. Then followed bying a Blood Pressure monitor I done this over and over again to, and sure all the anxiety about worry and repeating doing it over and over just made the pulse and blood pressure higher. If you get 12 people and take all there pulse and blood pressure you will find they are all completely different and yet they are all in good health? The best is try not to do this and I know its not easy but try and relax more. Also I found affermations realy good, just keep repeating to yourself you are in good health and there is nothing wrong with you, even write this on a paper and keep looking at it I am healthy and in good health. If you tell yourself something enough you will beleive it. Good luck. Vernon

HI
    IM THE SAME CONSTANTLY TAKING MY PULSE IT FEELS LIKE MY HEART IS FASTER THAN WHAT IT SHOULD BUT I THINK THE MORE YOU PANIC THE WORSE IT BECOMES IVE HAD MY HEART TESTED AND NOTHING IS WRONG WITH IT BUT I STILL CANT CONVINCE MYSELF THAT NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

KY

Its horrible!!!!!!!!!!!I just took it again while reading your message..I hate myself ..I can't deal with this..Maybe it will stop when my pulse stops..God help me..

Hi, I do this too all the time...in fact I am doing now. I always sit as if I am resting my chin on my hand but really I am checking my pulse because of the constant skipping of my heartbeat which it did just a few minutes ago and it seemed to get stuck and just flutter! I am now in a full blown panic attack and can't get a grip, I so wish anything else would bother me except this heart thing as I just cannot cope with it! Distractions do help I beleive but as we are so scared of this it will continue to bother us this much.

Angie

Hey you lot.

I've been having these unpleasant symptoms for around 4 years and I'm still here. I'm in a stressful managerial position with a national company in the week and at weekends I go out cleaning windows - very physical.

So.... Try not to worry too much, my ticker has various blips but I try really hard to ignore it now - easier said than done. But I reckon if I can clean windows non stop from 8am to 5pm the various flutters and blips can't be very serious, although they are very not pleasant to experience I know.

Just try to ignore it if you can - the heart is a very solid bit of equipment and can happily look after itself )

Hope this helps

John

A racing pulse or a slow pulse is not dangerous, it will pass in time. And so will the skipped beats. The best thing for you to do if you feel like checking your pulse is to get up and walk around, get something to drink or something like that.
    Even if you sit there with your fingers on your pulse all the time, it won't make any difference. If your heart stops, sure you will be the first to know, but you can't do much with that knowledge anyway as you will pass out.
    Having said that, I used to check my pulse all the time but managed to stop it. I still do it now and then when my heart skips, though, just to make sure that it gets back in rythm. LOL

"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up."

Thread Information