Thread: Back from the docs

Back from the docs

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it's a follow up from my HELLO thread in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF section - my apologies if I've put this in the wrong place ... (there I go apologising again[V])

Well the GP was lovely! he was a registrar GP, never seen him before and basically as soon as I sat down I burst in to tears! I was holding my list and it was just waving up and down with my hand as my shaking got steadily worse. He got me a tissue, smiled and said, don't worry, I'm here to help you.

I told him about the panic attack on Friday night and also how anxious I have been. He asked me questions about my PND and also about whether I have had any OCD symptoms, which I apparently have a few but I just thought that was just my little "quirks"

Anyway he's put me back on my sertraline tablets and also prescribed a short dose of diazepam to take away the anxiety. He's also referring me to a counsellor which I am pleased about but don't know how long I'll have to wait for that

I have taken my anti d - but haven't taken the diazepam yet - should I? I don't know if I want to take something that's habit forming? He took away the sleeping tablets that the Urgent Care doc gave me saying that I shouldn't have been given them at all.

He really was very nice and wants to see me in 2-4 weeks but i can see him sooner if I need to

Does this sound about right?

Sounds like you saw a very understanding doctor to me, it sounds right as my GP always wanted to see me every 4 weeks when my anxiety was acute.
    Do you feel better now you have seen him?

Take care

Elaine x

Great news Becky,

I sounds to me as if you didreally well, certainly in taking your note along. I think that is something others should consider.

I think your GP has things sussed and hopefully the wait won't be too long, but that is a bit of a lottery!!

Remember you are seldom alone in here and try to use all th efacilities.

Take care Becky

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

I feel so much better now that I've seen him

I've taken the anti d but not the diazapam - I will have that tonight

I don't know why exactly I don't want to take it, I just know the name of it and even tho he's only given me a few, I don't want to take it

Will have a read on here about it then think again:(

Hi,your gp sounds very understanding,you sound a bit better today.I was put on diazepam for a short spell.I only took them for a few days,I didnt become addicted.Its usually if you are on them long term.They really helped calm me down after my last major panic attack.
    all sounds about right to me.

Ellen XX

Hi becky,

Im so pleased the GP appointment went well, sounds like younhave a good GP there !
    I hope now you can concentrate on getting better, the councilling course is good news too, i hope you dont have to wait too long, im sure you must be feeling better now, and can start to move forwards.

Love

Andrea
    xxx

Hi Becky!
    So glad to hear the doctor was so kind and understanding. Just wanted to help with your worries about the diazepam-if the doctor has only given you a short course and a low dose, then I'm sure he knows best and it wouldn't be habit forming. However, diazepam is used in moments of crisis, so if you feel you don't need it I would only take it when you feel especially bad or if you need one before bed to help you sleep. They're fast-acting so you should feel the effects kick in within an hour.
    Take Care,
    Sarah

Glad the appointment well, Becky!

Try to take the diazepam sparingly, as it can indeed be habit forming. My own GP takes the attitude that if my pack of 14 can last me a few weeks, then she is more likely to play ball and give me some more to see me through a bad patch in future.

Maybe you being on here will calm you down, and you will find less need to take them anyway. Let's hope so.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Thank you all so very much for your kind words of support and help

I haven't taken any of them yet, but I may take one tonight before I go to sleep but I'm not defo sure that I will

I feel 100% better just having been to see the doctor - isn't that crazy? I'm still feeling anxious tho but miles better than the other day

Hello Becky,
    Your story sounds so much like mine sweetie! I had a major panic attack in the queue at the doctors 3 weeks ago and was referred to see a counsellor and prescribed a short course of diazepam (which I have only taken a couple of when I really really needed to calm down). I am also on Prozac - although this may be changed on my next visit to the doc.
    The "counsellor" turned out to be a mental health worker and she was fab. I felt incredibly low for a couple of days after seeing her but that was because I had felt that I was starting to get better and was controlling the P.A.'s and she made me realize that I am ill at the moment but I can (and will) get better!
    I hope things improve for you too when you have seen the counsellor - I just wanted you to know you are not alone and to send you a big hug!
    Love from Diane

Thread Information