Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible eye surgery this year

Possible eye surgery this year

Hi everyone.

I went to my opticians a couple of years ago for an eye test, and they found a lot of deterioration in my eyesight - for those who know what this means, I had lost more than 1 dioptre in each eye over the course of a year.

I was referred to the local eye hospital in Plymouth (which we're lucky to have btw) by my doctor, and the news was that I have a cataract in each eye and these will require surgery when they're sufficiently advanced. The last eye test I had (in June last year) they weren't so I was OK, but I have another eye test due in about a week's time, which I'm not looking forward to.

Has anyone had eye surgery, and have positive stories to pass on as a result?. If so, these would be much appreciated at the moment. (No horror stories please, I already know about those!). Have to admit that I thought dentists were scary until I discovered eye surgeons.

Thanks in advance,

Graham .
    Last edited by graham58; 29-01-14 at 22:09.

Re: Possible eye surgery this year

Hi hun

My auntie had her cataract done, she is a very, VERY nervous person,when in comes to things like this, so you can imagine the state she was in before it was done.

She said, after it was done, if I new then what I know now, I would not have been so nervous.

My aunt is happy she had it done

I feel its only natural to be nervous with any procedure like this, after all your going into the unknown and I feel that is what we tend to fear, the unknown.

Before you have the procedure, they do talk you through what they are going to be doing and how its done.

Its good your getting yourself some good stories,

Keep positive, you will be just fine when you get it done.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Thanks Jill! That's exactly the kind of story I like to hear.

My worry (or probably the main one) is that if I move my head involuntarily while they're operating on my eye, they'll end up stabbing me in the eye and doing damage...not a nice thought I know.

I'd like to know if it's possible to have cataracts done under a general instead of a local anaesthetic, so I won't know it's happening (maybe a question for a medical person or NHS Direct or someone )?

Thanks again,

Graham .

P.S. I like your sig about negatives developing in the darkroom of fear

Hi Graham

***My worry (or probably the main one) is that if I move my head involuntarily while they're operating on my eye,***

Mmm this is something I would come up with LOL BUT, it wont happen, they have done this procedure many, many times AND, they do know what there doing you know LOL

**I'd like to know if it's possible to have cataracts done under a general instead of a local anesthetic,***

Yes I feel this question is for the experts, but from what I know, any small procedure, you have to have a very good reason to have a general anesthetic, they don't like to knock people out, ( for reasons I wont go into, but they will tell you ) anyway, if your knocked out your in longer, if you have the local, your in AND OUT. and on your way home

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

biochemistry.
    thoughts.
    joy.
    SMILE"

Quote Originally Posted by jill View Post
    Hi Graham
    Thanks for replying again Jill!

***My worry (or probably the main one) is that if I move my head involuntarily while they're operating on my eye,***

Mmm this is something I would come up with LOL BUT, it wont happen, they have done this procedure many, many times AND, they do know what there doing you know LOL
    Not sure that I do though LOL

No, seriously that's a question I'm going to have to raise when I get to that stage and if it's still a concern for me. It's good to be able to talk about it anyway.
    **I'd like to know if it's possible to have cataracts done under a general instead of a local anesthetic,***

Yes I feel this question is for the experts, but from what I know, any small procedure, you have to have a very good reason to have a general anesthetic, they don't like to knock people out, ( for reasons I wont go into, but they will tell you ) anyway, if your knocked out your in longer, if you have the local, your in AND OUT. and on your way home
    You're right. I had a skin graft done on my back a couple of years ago under general anaesthetic and I had to stay in hospital for a couple of days afterwards. The surgeon told me I couldn't have a local for the op (which is what I wanted for that one) because it was over too big an area.

Any general anaesthetic has a small but real risk of complications; I think that's the reason they don't like doing it unless they have to (it's prolly more expensive too).

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX
    And you,

Graham .
    Last edited by graham58; 29-01-14 at 23:47.

Hi Graham

I know any procedure like this can be scary, BUT, watch those thoughts,
    Do what your doing, LOOK for all reassuring evidence. FACTS.

statistics say, this is a safe procedure to have.

NOW, collect your evidence and convince yourself, LOOK at the outcome and how your going to be able to see better

I do hope someone pops along with some more info, if not, keep popping this thread back to active threads, sometimes people miss threads.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

biochemistry.
    thoughts.
    joy.
    SMILE"

Jill,

Thanks for replying again.

You've actually been a great help. I was genuinely panicking about what I might be facing soon, I'm not now.

Some good advice in your last message too.

Take care, and thanks for your time and trouble,

Graham x.
    Last edited by graham58; 30-01-14 at 09:55.

Just a quick update; I've been to the eye infirmary now and have been given the all clear as far as macular degeneration is concerned, i.e. I don't have it after all. The cataracts are still there, but they don't seem to have got any worse; in order to try and keep it that way, I have to make sure I keep ultra violet light out of my eyes as much as possible so I've got some good clip-on sunglasses now.

Thanks for your support anyway
    Last edited by graham58; 06-05-14 at 21:31.

Hi Graham!
    I've had cataract surgery and its ok!
    I was very nervous before,and they gave me a sedative in my arm,and although I was awake for it they could have taken my head off and it wouldn't have bothered me!

Hi aprilmoon,

Thanks! Glad it went well for you too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information