Thread: Heart rate monitor - exercise machines... Heart Rate to High!

Heart rate monitor - exercise machines... Heart Rate to High!

Hi all
    Well I thought I was taking the right steps in joining the gym, I went for my first day today and my heart rate was averaging around 150bpm then suddenly it shot to over 200 and this huge alert shot up saying heart rate to high!!
    I am now petrified and worried about how accurate those machines actually are....
    Has anyone else had this before?
    I'm so so worried!!

I forgot to mention that I wasn't working particularly hard at the time, I don't drink or smoke and I'm in pretty good shape...
    Last edited by fedup36; 02-02-14 at 11:28.

Re: Heart rate monitor - exercise machines... Heart Rate to High!

Quote Originally Posted by fedup36 View Post
    Hi all
    Well I thought I was taking the right steps in joining the gym, I went for my first day today and my heart rate was averaging around 150bpm then suddenly it shot to over 200 and this huge alert shot up saying heart rate to high!!
    I am now petrified and worried about how accurate those machines actually are....
    Has anyone else had this before?
    I'm so so worried!!

I forgot to mention that I wasn't working particularly hard at the time, I don't drink or smoke and I'm in pretty good shape...
    These machines are not accurate at all. There were several threads here about exercising machines scaring people

And don't go to the gym, play football Much more funny, and other people involved

Margaret Thatcher

Thanks - I am still pretty worried - I have a short PR rate and the cardiologist seemed to think it was insignificant but its still got me worried!
    I think I will wear my HR monitor tomorrow and see how I get on!

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Err I really need to man up and get on with this!
    I thought I would go for a run with my heart rate monitor on... Surprise surprise literally to the point of collapsing my heart rate peaked at 174!
    Obviously the machine at the gym had a mind of its own! X

Thanks - I am still pretty worried - I have a short PR rate and the cardiologist seemed to think it was insignificant but its still got me worried!
    I think I will wear my HR monitor tomorrow and see how I get on!

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Err I really need to man up and get on with this!
    I thought I would go for a run with my heart rate monitor on... Surprise surprise literally to the point of collapsing my heart rate peaked at 174!
    I just read this thread and I was going to say you can't trust what the machines say at the gym I worked as a personal trainer many years ago before all the health crap started and I know this for a fact. Good going in getting to the gym. Exercise is beneficial is a multitude of ways

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you Fishmanpa, will avoid putting my hands there in the future!

My fiancé said the funniest thing... "I wish you would worry about your heart more if it made you go out running" yes a bit cruel but I'm using the exercise as a treatment for my anxiety x

Oh, you want to say that it is actually intellectually superior to you?

Joking of course-don't get insulted, please please please!!! It was just that the urge to respond with this classic Only Fools and Horses line was irresistible

Margaret Thatcher

Haha very good xx

Went to the gym again tonight with my heart rate monitor this time... Whilst I was rowing and dripping in sweat my Heart rate peaked at 174... I think that's ok!?
    Therefore the machines deffo had a mind of there own! Loving the gym though... I'm using it as a medication

Thread Information