Thread: Cervical Cancer Symptoms?

Cervical Cancer Symptoms?

At the end of November time I started getting a stinging pain in my vagina. This was mostly when I was passing urine and made me feel as if I wasn't empty. The stinging sensation was apparent when I was sitting down e.t.c. as well. This pain would be present for about 1/2 hours a day every week or so. It lasted for about a month. Shortly after this I started getting more discharge than usual. It is white, without a scent. I would say it is similar to normal vaginal discharge but in more amounts. This discharge is still continuing today. I didn't think much of this in terms of cervical cancer because at that time I was 21, a virgin and had had the HPV Vaccine. I lost my virginity at the beginning of January and didn't bleed. However, on Saturday night I slept with someone else and the next afternoon I went to the toilet only to find the smallest smear of brown blood on the tissue. I had some stinging pain as well. I didn't see anymore blood throughout the day, but as I went to the toilet this morning, there was a brown tinge and when I put my finger inside (tmi) and wiped it on the tissue there was a slight brown tinge as well. I'm really worried that this is the bleeding after sex symptom. So basically, my symptoms are pain, discharge and bleeding after sex. However, as I was a virgin when this symptoms arrived I'm wondering how likely Cervical Cancer is, especially as I'm 21 and have had the HPV Vaccine too. Any posts would be much welcomed. Thanks xxx

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Completely missed to add, my period took a little longer to end this month as well. I had spotting right up until the 6th day and this ended a week before I had sex Saturday.

Re: Cervical Cancer Symptoms?

This is one of my big phobias! The symptoms don't sound like cervical cancer and you're very young for that too. Could a urinary tract infection be a possibility? And if it helps at all I once had a GP tell me bleeding after sex is much more common and it's just under reported. He reckons up to 20% of women experience it. Always worth getting it checked out though even just for piece of mind

A major cause of bleeding after sex is cervical ectropion, also known as cervical erosion. That sounds awful, but it's pretty normal and common. It really just means that your cervix is irritated or inflamed, and friable (bleeds easily).
    This is extremely common with women who are on the pill or use any sort of hormonal contraception. The hormones make the cervix extra sensitive.
    The condition is reversible, in fact will often correct itself eventually.
    It is also treatable; I've heard of doctors treating the cervix with laser or chemical cauterization to "toughen it up" and stop it from bleeding so easily, but treatment is not necessary, because cervical erosion is not dangerous and is not part of a disease process. It is not caused by, nor does it cause, cervical cancer. The two are not related, nor is it related to hpv or any other illness. It is related to hormones, and is more common in younger women than older ones.
    Ask your doctor about it.

Brown indicates "old" blood. How familiar are you with the female reproductive cycle and what is normal as far as discharge, etc?

White/off-white creamy discharge is normal. When they talk about discharge from other things, it's typically described as thin and watery, maybe even with a bad odor and tinged with blood. Now, the watery/thin can also happen normally, as the cervical fluid changes throughout the cycle, and during fertile times you may notice things feeling more "wet" than usual. But if you know what's normal for your body, then you would be able to tell the difference I'm sure.

When you say you had a stinging pain in your vagina, do you mean in the vaginal canal itself or on the outer labia? The cervix is a different thing than the vagina, I assume you know.

The tinge of brown blood.....sometimes that can even happen after a Pap smear is taken. If, when you had sex, it was rough or the penetration was fairly deep, then the cervix might have been hit and some old blood was disturbed. You could be close to your period starting, or had it recently ended?

Thread Information