Hi Guys,

I've only recently discovered this forum but wish I found it a long time ago. Have been browsing threads last few days. I thought I'd share my story with you guys as I think there will be plenty a lot of people can relate to and if it helps someone even a little then it's worth my time to write it down. Sorry for length of post.

I've suffered from HA for the last 4 years. I'm 36 now so probably started around 32/33. It's moved between a few things but is usually about my heart, always the damn heart. I started having chest pains and shoulder tightness and made the mistake of googling everything. As we all know googling medical conditions tells you that you either have cancer or are about to have a heart attack. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground

This went on for a few days and I got really worried. One night I got myself into quite a state and actually got into my car and drove to the nearest hospital. I parked my car and walked up to the ER. By this time I was feeling fine. I didn't even go in and just went home and went to bed.

Pains came and went for a few more days and eventually I decided to see my Dr. I checked out fine but at my insistence various tests were done over the next few days. ECG, blood tests, ultrasound. Fit as a fiddle I'm told. Need to lose some weight and drink too much, but that's it.

The next few months I barely gave it a thought. Some time later the symptoms started up again and the panic returned. I saw my Dr again and he referred me to a cardiologist. He didn't really want to but hoped it would ease my mind. I did another ECG and a stress test. All good again. The cardiologist suggested to me that I was likely suffering from anxiety.

Once again the next few months were quite blissful. A load was released from my mind and I started to enjoy life again. It did not last. The feeling returned. I suffered mild chest pains or tightness, neck and back soreness, burning in my arms and numbness in my fingers. I resisted Dr Google but would sometimes end up back there. I was sleeping terribly. Existing on about 4 hrs a night Mon-Fri. I considered exercise a number of times but to be completely honest would become fearful about putting stress on my heart.

Leading up to the first symptoms from the above period I was working far too much. I have a demanding high stress job and went through a pretty rough patch in terms of project overload. I broke up with my long-term girlfriend and it's about the time i started having issues with sleeping.

For the next 3 years I was a mess, between the stress of my health anxiety, being single and uncertainty at work.

This was me up until about a year ago. One night I had a panic attack and thought I needed to go to the hospital. I paced around my house working myself up and eventually broke down in tears. I was an emotional wreck. I eventually passed out and called in sick the next morning when my alarm went off.

I got up again at lunch time and did a lot of soul searching. Some time that day something clicked. This crap isn't getting the best of me, it's time to regain control of my life or die trying. I went to a fitness store and immediately bought a treadmill. Then I went and filled my fridge and pantry with fresh healthy food.

I decided that right now was time to begin. If I've got a heart condition, too bad I'll die on this treadmill. if I don't (I obv knew I didn't) it's time to get healthy instead of waiting to die.

I ran. Not for long as I was unfit as hell. I'd barely broke a sweat for the last 3 years due to fear of dropping dead on the spot. My heart rate went up, I sweated a bucket and then I took a shower. I ate a healthy lunch and was feeling good. Later that day I had another go on the treadmill.

I returned to work and started walking or running every night. I was watching what I was eating. I was still having issues with symptoms every few days but found I could get over it much quicker. Weight was falling off me and I was happier. The symptoms became further and further apart. The exercise was helping me sleep better as I was much more tired come evening.

Eventually I met a new girl and my happiness went up even further. The uncertainty at work settled down and surprise surprise, I started feeling even better.

Anyway, a few months on. I've dropped 18 kgs (40lbs). I sleep like a bay most nights and I rarely have any symptoms. I still get them, but it's usually only for a few mins and I can pretty much brush them aside at will now. A few deep slow breaths, maybe a stretch and whatever tightness I'm feeling magically disappears. I'm back to enjoying life and for the first time in years can truly say that I'm happy.

What's my point? Well, I guess it's that we often don't look after ourselves. I see my anxiety as a wake up call from my body. There was nothing wrong but it was crying out for me to start looking after it. I'd grown increasingly inactive and the stressful period leading up to it really took it out of me. The long hours at work caused me to get very little exercise and to eat poorly. My sleep was all over the place. As I was so stressed out I was drinking more on the weekends and stressing about being alone for the first time in seven years.

My body and my mind were not happy and were letting me know about it. At least that's the way I'm looking at it. I'm looking forward to the time i can put it behind me permanently but frankly I've not worrying about that either. Stress will kill you, be kind to your body.