Thread: Will Diazepam give me a break

Will Diazepam give me a break

Hi there,

I am hoping someone will be able to advise me on Diazepam.

I have suffered for many years with anxiety but recently I feel anxious most days. In the past my doctor has given me antidepressants but they made me worse. I have also had CBT but it didn't help long term.

I feel my anxiety has been getting worse and some days I can't cope. I had a really bad weekend and couldn't get a dr appointment so I took 2mg of Diazepam which my mum keeps for emergencies.

I felt so much better and the tightness in my chest eased and I felt I could think straight for the first time in ages.

I have a dr appointment for next week, but I am worried he won't suggest Diazepam. I know it can be addictive but I really only want it short term to try and give my mind a break.

Does anyone take a low dose to maintain their anxiety?

Re: Will Diazepam give me a break

Hi Bluebird you shouldnt really be on it for more than a month as its addictive.There are other long term drugs you can try like quetiapine and olanzapine in small doses which help anxiety
    Maybe ask your doctor about them

good luck

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Hi,

Are you still taking the AD? If not it may be best to try one and have diazepam in the short term to conquer the start up side effects.

Sarah

Diazepam or other medications of the same type (benzodiazepines) will almost certainly give temporary relief from anxiety.

Doctors are reluctant to prescribe them though because in the past many people got addicted to them or abused them. Even with sensible use tolerance can eventually become an issue, requiring an ever increasing dose just to get the same effect.

Having said that, if you have found many different antidepressants have failed and your anxiety is really ruining your life you may consider the risk is worth taking. I've been taking Lorazepam for a couple of months now and I have found it very helpful for anxiety where all antidepressants have failed.

I would explain everything to your doctor and see what he says. 2mg is a tiny dose I'm surprised it helped that much to be honest. As it is such a tiny dose he might be more willing to give you some.

Seeing the doctor tomorrow I am really worried he won't prescribe me Diazepam I know it works for me.

Thread Information