Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scared to get blood test

Re: Scared to get blood test

Great post Mbarger. I am having a bad night with my palpitations and anxiety and that has helped. I'm trying to remember that how you feel emotionally is no indicator whatsoever of your physical health.

Thanks mbarger. Your post helped push me, you're right, I'd like to know I'm relatively healthy, it'll make the HA battle a hell of a lot easier. That is if they are normal! I'm pretty scared of having some strange results. The nurse said it was all just routine stuff. Thyroid and iron levels and stuff. There were about five different vials which I wasn't expecting.
    Oh deary me. Have I done the right thing?

I am guessing they will a full blood count, thyroid, liver and kidney function maybe. I know when I was pregnant it was always 3 vials x

Well I totally regret getting those tests. I'm so scared that I'll have high something or other that indicates something serious. I am really really regretting it. I'm actually debating calling the doctors tomorrow and saying I don't want them sent off, that's how much I'm dreading.
    What can I do? I feel I've made the wrong decision.

There's nothing you can do at this point as they've already been sent for testing. Your doctor said they were "routine" blood tests and that's all they are. It's your Dragon breathing fire and smoke up your butt and that's what's got you in a tizzy. "Routine" is just that. It's to be sure everything is exactly as your doctor already feels it is... "normal". If your doctor hadn't ordered the tests, you'd be worried that the tests weren't being done.

Ride it out and please, resist the urge to drink. It will only make things worse.

Positive thoughts.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

If there is something wrong then you will deal with it and get it sorted.

You needed the tests and have had them done - now chill!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm going for bloods this morning as well as a chest xray. Like you, I'm very tempted not to go as I'm terrified of what will show up. I'll panic for 10 days till the results are in. However, if I don't go, I'll panic forever. At least this way I can either deal with the problem, or know there isn't a problem.

Thanks for these replies.
    Fishman, in hindsight that was a bit mad thinking I could stop them getting sent off. And yeah I guess I'd have to just deal with it. From what I've read on health anxiety a major factor of the illness is believing you would not be able to cope if you were ill. And that's a major problem for me. I think well, if you had something wrong with you you'd not be able to function with worry and dread etc. It would be catastrophic. That's the right word. But my mother, and you fishmanpa, are testament that things can go wrong and maybe you'll be ok in the end.
    This blood test thing has made me realise How ridiculous my thought processes actually are. I am worried that this test will reveal blood cancer. Blood cancer? I've never thought of this in my entire life, and now I'm bordering on certain that my results will say I have it. I know nothing about it, never had anyone in my family with it, yet I'm terrified of the phone ringing any minute to say this is what I have. And since the test was done, as if like magic, my chest pains are gone. Because I'm focused on something different now it just disappears.
    I put my doctor in position where she feels she needs to get my bloods done because of my constant visits about various problems. Now I'm freaking out over stuff I've never even thought about. Its obscenely far fetched.
    So yeah. My fear now is they will uncover cancer in my blood tests.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information