Thread: Pregnancy and anxiety/chest pain

Pregnancy and anxiety/chest pain

Hi bit of a long shot but is anyone pregnant/been pregnant and massively suffering with anxiety? I'm currently 11 weeks and my chest symptoms are just going into overdrive. I had 2 ECGs and echo about a year ago after having chest pain and palpatations which came back fine, I've just had another batch of bloods and blood pressure all of which are perfect but I still believe I have a heart problem, even more so now I'm pregnant (I don't know why) I've never fully believed my results from the hospital and have always been convinced they missed something as this feeling is just all too real, it's not pain so much but as a heavy feeling right bang in the centre of my chest I get so many palpatations every day and shortness of breath it's ridiculous. I've been holding off going to the doctor as everyone just keeps telling me it's my hormones/anxiety going into overdrive but there's always that devil telling me to go and get checked again. Could there be something wrong even though I've been checked??

Re: Pregnancy and anxiety/chest pain

Hi Ella,

First off, congratulations on expecting! I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses from the Moms and expectant Moms on the board.

One of the traits of HA is to doubt medical professionals and tests, although for some, they offer reassurance, even if it's for a short time. No one here is a medical professional but many do feel the same way and will tell you the same thing.

You have to trust someone and I would definitely trust what the doctors are telling you. They're not only looking after your well being but the well being of your unborn child so it makes sense that they would be extra prudent in checking you. What you describe is a classic anxiety symptom.

Since you're pregnant, it rules out medication but perhaps some therapy or CBT would be helpful. I'd hate to see you worrying unnecessarily when you should be basking in the glow of upcoming motherhood

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hey hun,

I haven't had a baby yet, not have carried one to full term, but this is a blog I routinely follow and I love her advice. You may find some help in terms of supplements that might make you feel better in this post http://wellnessmama.com/4403/supplem...y-and-nursing/

Palpitations can be a sign of magnesium deficiency and I see she suggests taking a magnesium supplement while pregnant. Remember that bubs takes everything it can from you, often leaving you depleted. Calcium is vital for magnesium uptake, so if you're not getting enough of that it won't be helping either.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for replying I am really excited about being pregnant, it's my first child so I'm a bit new on the what to expect side of things I wasn't expecting my anxiety to get worse though!

I tried therapy and CBT before I got pregnant and for some reason just didn't work for me. I maybe need to try it again and stick with it. At the moment I'm just listening to relaxation apps on my phone which seem to help especially at night.

Lilharry thanks for the blog I will definitely have a proper look at this weekend. Im taking folic acid along with vitamin D and calcium tablets so I'm hoping I'm getting everything I need. I try to drink at least one glass of milk every night as well, I'll have a look into the magnesium thing though.

Thanks guys

I found my anxiety was better when I was pregnant. Especially when I got to the second trimester. One of the best parts about being pregnant is that you are constantly at the doctor so I felt good knowing they were monitoring me. I've had many panic attacks while pregnant and my doctor told me it didn't affect the baby at all. Congratulations to you!

Thread Information