Thread: how do I switch off

how do I switch off

my job causes me nothing but anxiety and then when I get home I spend all night stressing about the next day. How do I switch off?

Re: how do I switch off

I don't know if this will help or not...

I was in the car business for a couple of years. It was HORRIBLE! Long hours and I just felt "dirty" if you know what I mean. Let's put it this way... All the nasty things you ever heard about the car business are true!

Anyway.... there was a salesman there that was incredibly successful. Nothing seemed to phase him. I asked him how he was able to deal with it and what he said stuck with me all these years afterwards.

He said "I just don't give a shit" ~lol~ Seriously... he really didn't care. All that mattered was the paycheck at the end of the month and it didn't matter to him who or what got in his way. Now, I'm not saying to turn into a cruel money mongering heartless monster but I am saying there comes a time when you have to turn it off because it just doesn't matter.

Take a look at my signature. The same thing applies. There are things in life that are truly important. Family,friends, loved ones, the blessings we enjoy. The rest doesn't matter.... It's like chasing the wind. What are your priorities? Think about those things and the rest can go to hell, including this job that causes you so much stress. The moment you get that mindset, that will be the moment you stop stressing about it. After all, it's just a "job"... Also, they say the best time to look for a job is when you already have one

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You mindset sorta has to be neutral.
    Not care if things get better or worse.
    If your job is causing so much stress then you shouldn't care if you lose your job or if you walk away.
    You should just not care.

thanks for that post. I think it was actually helpful. I'm really going to try and focus on the important things. Just finding things tough at the moment. I might not sell cars but I get the concept. Anxiety is tough its just hard to switch it off

Hi,

I'm the same, at times my job can be quite stressful.

I would suggest meditation groups, I also use tesco sleep easy teabags. Get down to your local gym as well and do at least 30/40 mins exercise 3 times a week.

Really does help

Hi hun

This thread bring to mind, one of the many things that helped me....

This is from THIS site.....

Life is like a jar

things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar...and the beer.
    A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar were full. They agreed that it was.
    So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar were full. They agreed it was.
    The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar were full. The students responded with a unanimous yes.
    The professor then produced two bottles of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed. Now, said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life"
    "The golf balls are the important things - your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favorite passions - things that if everything else were lost, and only they remained, your life would still be full.
    The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car.
    The sand is everything else - the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take your partner out to dinner. Go out with friends. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the washing. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
    One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."

Take care

LOVE JILL Xxx

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Watch eastenders

Quote Originally Posted by jill View Post
    Hi hun

Life is like a jar

things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar...and the beer.
    A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar were full. They agreed that it was.
    So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar were full. They agreed it was.
    The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar were full. The students responded with a unanimous yes.
    The professor then produced two bottles of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed. Now, said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life"
    "The golf balls are the important things - your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favorite passions - things that if everything else were lost, and only they remained, your life would still be full.
    The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car.
    The sand is everything else - the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take your partner out to dinner. Go out with friends. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the washing. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
    One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."

Take care

LOVE JILL Xxx
    That's a great story! Thanks for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jill View Post
    Hi hun

Life is like a jar

Take care

LOVE JILL Xxx
    That was a great story. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with me

Thread Information