Thread: blood result, slightly high thyroid??

blood result, slightly high thyroid??

Ok. I don't know whether to panic or not. The lady on the phone says the thyroid was slightly raised. She said they'd like it retested in three months time. I have no idea what a thyroid is or does but I'm really freaking out. I've had my brother read about the thyroid and apparently it controls hormones and how the body processes energy or proteins or something? I'm hoping the fact it's not for 3 months that it's nothing serious? Please don't reply with anything scary or I'll have a nervous breakdown I think. Any advice or help much appreciated x

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

She said everything else was normal x

Re: blood result, slightly high thyroid??

hi i wouldnt worry people with an over active thyroid usually feel on edge a lot would that relate to you?

if so it can be treated then that edginess will go away

tkcre
    kris

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Ok. I don't know whether to panic or not. The lady on the phone says the thyroid was slightly raised. She said they'd like it retested in three months time. I have no idea what a thyroid is or does but I'm really freaking out. I've had my brother read about the thyroid and apparently it controls hormones and how the body processes energy or proteins or something? I'm hoping the fact it's not for 3 months that it's nothing serious? Please don't reply with anything scary or I'll have a nervous breakdown I think. Any advice or help much appreciated x

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

She said everything else was normal x
    Reduce your stress levels. Overactive thyroid is one of the hallmarks of stress.

Margaret Thatcher

Yeah I'm always in an anxious state really, whether it's mild or severe I always feel on edge or worried. It's nothing serious though, just hormones and stuff? The woman I spoke to said if there was any major concern they'd want to see me urgently, which they don't.
    Sorry I'm just panicking x

Your thyroid gland basically controls your metabolism. Slightly high/over active and you may have a bit more energy and burn calories a little better than most (actually not a bad thing). Under active (hypo) and you may lack energy. My kids Mom had hypothyroidism, an under active thyroid, and took meds to correct it. No biggie whatsoever.

I have mine checked on a regular basis due to radiation treatment of my head and neck. It will stop working eventually due to that. There are various hormone levels they check for to determine this but overall, slightly high is nothing at all to be concerned with. They'll check it again and so be it. The GREAT thing is that EVERYTHING else is normal!!! No blood cancer, no cancer markers, no bacterial or viral markers...NADA, NOTHING!! That means you're HEALTHY!! Read that again... YOU'RE HEALTHY!!!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I lived with a slightly overactive thyroid for over a decade. It's not a big deal.

Just to be clear, though, did she say the test was high or the thyroid was high? There's one common thyroid test that's high when your thyroid is underactive, which can be confusing. (That also isn't going to be a big deal if it's slightly off.)

Aww thanks fishman, that helped a lot.
    I need to try and unpanic myself now. Everything else was normal so that's got to be good. Is this thyroid thing quite common?
    Really happy about everything else though! X

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Althea, I'm not sure to be honest. Just said the thyroid test was slightly high I think. I was in such a flap at them ringing me I didn't take it all in. Definitely the words thyroid and slightly raised, didn't say anything about low or underactive?x

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Aww thanks fishman, that helped a lot.
    I need to try and unpanic myself now. Everything else was normal so that's got to be good. Is this thyroid thing quite common?
    Really happy about everything else though!
    More common than you can even imagine.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks fishman And thank God for this site! I would have been in fully blown panic. I hope it's just an off reading, they said it could be with it being just slightly high.
    Trying to chill now!

Thread Information