Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valium

Valium

Does anyone here seem to have a high tolerance to valium/ diazepam. When i first took it for flying a few years ago I took 2mg and was zonked out.

I then took it for a couple of weeks when I was at my worst panic and was taking about 40mg a day.

I never take it anymore but the other day I went to the dentist and took some to relax, well I took 10mg and after 10minutes felt dizzy but then felt absolutely normal and not even affected. I seem to have such a high tolerance to it now even though last time I took it was a year ago - does anyone know why this is?

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Em

I used to have 2mg tablets and as I told you before I took 1mg to get me on a plane and that was enough. The doctor laughed saying it was such a low dose but it worked so maybe a placebo effect.

You don't want to get dependant on that cos the more you take, the more you get used to it and the more you need.

How was the dentist?

Perhaps you are having the opposite of the placebo effect - i.e. you believe that you need more to relax when you don't really.

Not sure of the mechanics of it but I know that I haven't taken any for 3 years and I am sure that 1mg would still work for me now. I used to take that dose at work when i was REALLY bad and it worked then too.

Meg may throw some medical light on this.

Nicola

Dentist was A NIGHTMARE. It is the second time he has tried to do the work and each time it has hurt too much. Today he injected the wrong place and my eyelid became frozen open. It was horrendous I couldnt blink or keep my eye shut - the receptionist looked really worried and even the dentist admitted it was 'unusual'. More like it was his fault for his dodgy injections!

Whilst I was waiting to numb up and holding my left eye shut a little girl in the waiting room fell over and cut her head open (they had no adult supervision). Her mother then came careering out of the surgery hysterically screaming 'what am i going to do' which set her 4 children off and they were all screaming and they had to call an ambulance. I have never seen such bad parenting.

Then I went back in with my dodgy eye, the dentist did one bit of drilling and had to stop because it still hurt. He wants me to go back next week and if it doesnt work then I have to be referred to hospital! It is a nightmare and the dentist is crap.

I came home and cried, waited till I could blink again and then went to work where they are annoyed because i keep having to take mornings off and we are understaffed. Good day all in all.

Emily

Hi Em

Guess we can all take different amounts and see how we cope.

Might sound stupid but also think it is in the mind with me. Always have 5mg when feeling really bad, but doc dropped me down to 2mg and it didnt help like the 5mg. So she put it back up and now when i feel really bad i split them so i am taking 2.5 mg. Sounds strange but didnt feel safe with the 2mg as then i would have to take 2 rather than the 5mg and take one.

Weird how the mind thinks isnt. But just knowing i have the 5 mg makes me feel safe.

I always wonder if doc gave me a diazepam and i took it and didnt no dose and it was only 1mg without knowing how i would react??

Surprised 10mg didnt calm you but then again if going to dentists thats a stressful moment especially if you dont like it, so not sure 10mg would help me.

Sorry for rambling on.

Love Sal xxx

Hi, i takes 2mg valium when needed... it dont really touch me, yr or so ago i was taking 2mg every few hrs as prescribed then i had a full blown panick attack... think that was due to tolerance i did quit it.. i have more here now and just take as needed, i also have the yellow 5mg tabs here to, i will be taking a few of them tommorrow (thursday) got gyni having abnormal cells burnt away [V]

you still taking valium? has your doctor ever mentioned about trying something else? i would love to try xanax or klonpin..

Luv Y'all

Donna

Hi

I used to take 2 mg and it never touched me at all. I took up to 6 mg in a day and still no effect.

Jules

Emily ,

I remember you saying you took 30-40 mg at the time and I was taken aback as I hadn't met anyone who needed that much . Now I have come across 2 other people who used that amount for short periods and their tolerence is altered too but I guess it's just how you are built as you needed a large amount right from the beginning.

About the dentist . You could say enough is enough right now and get referred to hospital with no more messing about.

Donna,

Whilst Xanax is a fast acting and effective drug it is highly addictive- quicker than valium . In the UK there is a real concern about prescribing this and is often only given out in very small amounts and only if ativan and valium are not possible .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
    If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
    Robert Albert Bloch

I told my doctor that when I fly I take about 30mg and two to three glasses of wine and he said 'you must be knocked out' but actually I am fine and not even sleepy!

I am super tolerance woman[8D]

Emily

Hi Emma

Sorry to hear about your visit to the denist, sounded a real nightmare is that dentist of your for real or what? I know how bad it must have been for you but I did have to chuckle at the thought of you having one eye frozen open .

Know what you mean about valium. I first took it in February when I was in hospital with asthma. The doc said I was responding well because I was too anxious and so I started taking 2mg morning and night for a week and it totally knocked me out. Then in May when it was exam time and I was having panic attacks, my GP prescribed me some more to take, again 2mg but this time it seemed to do absolutely nowt!

Took 2mg again for my flight over to Vegas a month or so back and it seemed to work a bit that time. I wonder if it depends what frame of mind you're? Maybe if you expect too much, as I did at exam time, you get disappointed, whereas the 1st time when I had no idea what to expect, it seemed to do the trick[?]

Love Jo xxx

Dear All,

I have only taken Diazepam once in my life and that was 6yrs ago when my panic attacks were at there worst and I was about 6mths pregnant.

I was house bound and terribly worried about harming my baby if I took it so I really didn't know what to do. I ended up taking 2mg and it didn't seem to do anything so I never took it again.

However I would like to try it again but whenever I've suggested it to some of the doctors I've seen they've always advised against it.

Do you think it would be worth me trying it and if so how would I be able to get it?

Caroline
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information