Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does propranolol take to kick in?

How long does propranolol take to kick in?

Hi all

I have been prescribed propranolol 10mg tablets and been told to take 3 times a day.
    I have been doing this for the last week but can feel no difference. Is this because the dose is so low or is it because they need a couple of weeks to get into your system?
    I wasn't sure if these are the kind of drugs where you need to build up a background level or if they should be working already. Thanks!

Re: How long does propranolol take to kick in?

From my experience they work within minutes. That's why some people take them before a stressful meeting, giving a lecture etc, especially if they suffer phobias.

I was on 40mg 3x per day though.

I think some GPs use this as a first line treatment for anxiety.

However it doesn't affect your mind like an anti-depressant, it just calms down the physical effects, mainly slowing your heartrate (this drug is used for angina of course).

I found that a slower heart-rate (which was measurably so for me) did help to make me feel a little more relaxed. My pulse is around 85 normally - on propranolol that came down to 65

I find hey are effective from about an hour after taking them. I am taking 40mg 3 times daily. I didn't really feel much at 10mg and quickly moved up to 30mg and then 40mg which I noticed

I'm taking 80mg slow release and I'm sure they are helping me, I have been in situations I would not of tried on them.

Hi
    I started on 10mg and my GP said if that didnt work to go to 20mg x 3 a day. 10mg didnt really do anything for me so i tried 20mg a week ago and its much better! I really am a fan of this medication and hope it will change my life! so far so good anyway!

My doctor did say that 10mg is a VERY low dose, so i wouldnt worry if you have felt no better on it. They do work straight the way, well taking about an hour to kick in.

Good luck x

Hello,

I am new to this forum, also new to Propranolol. Today I was put on 80mg slow release. Took one at 1200 midday and the terrible feeling in my stomach went after about 40 minutes.

I will take one in the morning, but I have got myself worked up, as I don't know the effect the 1st tablet will have with my sleep to-night, also it's waking up that I get that terrible feeling in my stomach.

Last, I am on my own tonight so any help and advise would really be great.

thanks.

I don't find it affects my sleep, I am taking three a day, I take one at six in the morning as I tend to struggle with mornings if I don't. Have one late on in case of trouble getting to sleep and have the other at some point during the day, normally prompted by me feeling the need. The morning one for me is the one I couldn't live without.

Many thanks, i think i have been reading to much on various sites.

I am on the 80mg 1 a day, I am hoping to take mine regularly at 8 in the morning.

I have to say, after taking the 1st tab I felt a bit of a change.

Lets hope this all works out.

Again thanks for your advise.

I take this at 40-60mg a day, 40mg normally and the extra 20 if I'm having a bad day nerves-wise. I was started a few years ago on 80mg slow release but taking it all in one hit made me feel spaced out so now its been reduced, and I take the dose 2-3 times a day in 20mg tablets. It helps loads with reducing an anxious heart rate for me but as I've also got an under active thyroid which slows the system down, beta blockers does this too and can result in me really slowing down even more!

thanks for the replies - I have noticed it's day 3 now and these terrible feeling in my stomach have subsided thank goodness - I've read it will take a little while for these tablets to get into my system, and hopefully if this is correct I can stop worrying if this feeling will return.

Any views...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information