Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P/A about having my hair cut

P/A about having my hair cut

Hi y'all. I have waist length VERY thick and heavy hair. I feel like I have been hiding behind it for the last 6 years or so. One time I had my hair cut and I had a panic attack over it. I don't tend to get P/A's much anymore, but when I do they scare the pididille out of me. The problem now is that my hair is so heavy that it is hurting my neck. And it is affecting my balance too. I wear it wrapped up in a bun and if that slides down my head I feel "off" and I hate that. So I realy want to get my hair cut. So now I have to face several things. Letting someone close enough to me to cut it, letting someone touch me, letting someone spray me with water etc. etc etc. The list could go on for quite a while. I realy feel like this is a huge step for me towards becoming the Debbie I want to be rather than who I am right now. So I gotta figure out how to do this. Any suggestions would be very much appreceated. Anyone else scared of getting their hair cut? Is there a name for this?
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

I can relate to that as I've experienced similar feelings. My guess is it has to do with handing over control to somebody else and trust them. Whether there's a specific name for it I don't know. It really helps if the hairdresser is somebody you feel okay with and not one of those bossy types. Maybe you could accompany some of your friends to their hairdresser and check them out before making an appointment?

One thing you could try is asking the hairdresser to use the products you're using at home (bring along shampoo and conditioner - a good hairdresser will respect your wishes) so that not everything feels/smells unfamiliar. Or wash your hair at home and tell the hairdresser that you just want the ends trimmed. If you feel okay with that you can come back later and have the rest done.

Debbie,

Can you possibly get a hairdresser to come to your home so you will feel a bit more relaxed in your own surroundings???

Lucky

All of the above plus I had mine cut in stages - from waist to bottom of shoulder blades , then a few weeks later once I'd acclimatized had it cut to shoulders and then finally to a long bob .

It made it more comfortable to adjust to the image change.

Glad to hear you're doing well these days Debbie.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
    If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
    Robert Albert Bloch

SC your are right, it is an issue of trust and control. I don't trust most people. The lady that did my dd'd hair was realy nice. I told her about my PD and asked her if I could come with freshly washed wet hair and she was cool about that. I had not thought of doing it in stages. That is a great idea!!! Thanks. Meg, thanks for your thoughts, I have been doing ok, but it was my computer that was sick!!! I realy missed being able to come her. I am glad to be back.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

Hi Debbie

I am not so keen on hairdressers either. I didn't used to like sitting in the chair at the salon so now someone comes here and does mine.

Not only is she very good but she is much much cheaper so I get it done at home and save money too!!

Good to see you back - we missed you!

Nicola

I can relate! I have always been uncomfortable having my hair cut, but since I have developed P/A and Agoraphobia, it's been impossible. :( Just the idea of sitting in the chair and having the stylist wash my hair (that's the uncomfortable part, feeling out of control) was enough to bring on P/a's. My solution was to have my husband cut it. It's certainly not perfect, but I was desperate and my husband was willing.
    I hope you can find a solution that's right for you.

Yes, Daisey, I have asked my dh to cut my hair, but he won't go near it. I cut his!!! I think it is only fair that he do mine! I even offerd to make it easy on him by letting him use his pruning shears, but no go! The only down side to having my hair cut in stages is I was wanting to donate my hair to a group called "Locks of Love" they make wigs for children who have no hair due to Allopecia or Chemo. That alone may be enough to propel me to go to a hair dressers and just get it over with. I will let y'all know what happens!!
    God bless you
    Debbie

Hi Deb,

Just wanted to say what a lovely idea that is donating your hair to "Locks of Love".

I have seen American chat shows that have mentioned the good work that they do.

Good luck with the haircut!![8D]

Kate x

Debbie,

I can relate to this problem as I have only been to the hairdressers once in the last 6yrs!!! Now you might imagine that I have very long hair as a result but you'd be very wrong. I have very short hair which I cut myself and as so many people have commented on how nice it is I now cut hair for friends and family too.

I definitely think you would feel alot better if someone came to your house and did it because you would be in familiar surroundings and your family would probably be around to chat to you.

Let us know how you get on.

Daisy - I feel the same as you and just the thought of getting in the chair makes me feel hot under the collar. I panic because I know I will look like a nut case if I leave with my hair only half done.

Caroline
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information