Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you get heart palpitations?

Re: Do you get heart palpitations?

Great post, thanks. Now I know what to read when I start feeling anxious.

I have experienced palpitations since the age of 10, and only recently was I told that they are harmless and will not cause imminent death. Decent!

My palpitations are, as you say, very random. I guess I'm lucky in that I only have them every few months, but when they do come, they are absolutely hellish. My heart suddenly goes up to 140-150 beats, then stays like that for 10-15 seconds before starting to slow down to maybe 120. They are so extreme that my only instinct is to lie down, wherever I am and whatever I'm doing, I have to lie down, and put my feet up on something. What bothers me the most is the fact that I am now very apprehensive towards any unusual situation, such as long flights or car journeys, where it can be rather complicated for me to lie down.
    It seems that the majority of the people on this site suffer from missed beats and not accelerated heart rate.

Does anyone else experience similar palpitations? I'm new to this terminology, so I don't know what exactly to call my palpitations. I've had multiple ECGs and blood tests but my heart is apparently normal and healthy, which is great, but that doesn't mean the palpitations don't bother me.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Furthermore, what you said about flying really struck a chord with me! No one has ever addressed this fear of mine. I am feeling much more confident now, but in my worst period of palpitations several years ago, the thought of suddenly getting palps on a plane terrified me so I avoided it at all costs. I thought, "What if I get palpitations, and everyone will think I'm just making a terrible scene?" Fortunately, I only had to fly once during that period, and on that flight I was able to distract myself by holding an absurd three-hour conversation with a girl from Genova. We had nothing in common, she only spoke French, and I only spoke English, but I really needed the comfort, and I still believe she saved me from whatever it was I was terrified of in the first place.

"I used to be terrified of flying. It was nothing to do with the fear of dying in a plane crash, it was fear of having palpitations and arrhythmia on the plane, mid-journey, and nobody being able to help me. A plane can’t suddenly get you to a hospital for a cardioversion if you need it."

Hey just wondering if you can read my post and comment on what you think....its "bothersome palpitations" thank you

Thanks so much for this article......it really explains so much....and I can relate to a lot of it!. I had this start about 6 months ago.....just the odd 'skipping/extra ' beat. like you say I was comforted by having an ecg.....only to find out later it's just a 'snapshot' at the time. haven't noticed anything until the other night....I wasn't doing anything in particular and my heart started racing....but regular...then it started 'missing' beats...every 4th....2nd....then 9th...then 3rd...really scary. I couldn't get my heart rate down. I called nhs 111 and they told me to go to a and e. By the time I got there it had stopped...obviously ecg ok and bloods but they kept me in overnight. Hopefully getting to see a cardiologist in the New Year. It's very scary. I do believe so much stems from stress...whether we realise it or not. Thanks again....such a relief to know others going through it.

Good that this has been bumped as I somehow missed it when you first posted it at the beginning of the year Skippy. I've suffered with extra beats and flutters since my 20's and i'm now 61 and still get them daily but its usually just the odd one or two so I can cope with them..unlike in the past when the fear of them brought me to my knees. The episodes where there are long runs of them coming every couple of beats and lasting for days at a time are thankfully few, due in part to taking beta-blockers as well as a lifetime of recognising some of the triggers. Digestion does indeed play a big part in triggering them, but equally, like you, so does exercise...sometimes even just walking down the street can result in a few skipped beats until my heart regulates itself and catches up with the change in breathing...heart and lung function being connected as they are. I find cold weather can set them off too, but hot weather doesn't.

Anyway, a great post for all of us palpies!

ISB x

Quote Originally Posted by weatherwax View Post
    Thanks so much for this article......it really explains so much....and I can relate to a lot of it!. I had this start about 6 months ago.....just the odd 'skipping/extra ' beat. like you say I was comforted by having an ecg.....only to find out later it's just a 'snapshot' at the time. haven't noticed anything until the other night....I wasn't doing anything in particular and my heart started racing....but regular...then it started 'missing' beats...every 4th....2nd....then 9th...then 3rd...really scary. I couldn't get my heart rate down. I called nhs 111 and they told me to go to a and e. By the time I got there it had stopped...obviously ecg ok and bloods but they kept me in overnight. Hopefully getting to see a cardiologist in the New Year. It's very scary. I do believe so much stems from stress...whether we realise it or not. Thanks again....such a relief to know others going through it.
    I have exactly the same thing!

Had another scary panic attack yesterday. It get me scared because its been 11 years now that I'm suffering from panic attack and in the past, it was only the fast heartbeat. But now (since around 8 months) its fluttering and big palpitations. I just feel like my heart go very fast and keep skipping, its very very scary! Did you find any solutions to yours? does your heart actually goes fast when you have those skip or is your heart rate low?

Anyone else here have episodes of sudden fast heartbeat after a skipped beat mixed with skipped, extra beats despite tests being ok?

That makes me crazy. I always think my cardiologist might of missed something and now i think i have afib, long qt, bunch of arrhythmia. Im scared :(

Hi Skippy,
    I liked your post. I collected also a big experience with heart palpitation and anxiety. I recognized in your word some in my thoughs , actions, hopes and pains.
    For me the situation improved a lot starting practicing Yoga and Meditation. I practice Meditation almost every evening and in my case it s really incredible how it improves my sleep quality, I recovered my energy, my personality and the heart palpitation were reduced. I had also headackes which completely disappeared since I decided to trust my doctors saying everything fine and since I started meditation. Trust your heart , trust your body, trust yourself.
    Olivier

THANK YOU! I have this post bookmarked

Wow, this helped a lot. I was diagnosed wit PVC's in 2006, and I have been going through heart anxiety ever since. I've had all the tests you've listed above, and my anxiety sometimes mimics heart attack symptoms (pressure in the left arm, dull ache just the the left of the breastbone). Dr. Google was where I was going to, and it wasn't helping at all. Thank you for this post, and for helping me calm down a bit.

Hello skippy,
    I could have written your story. I am pretty frightened when I experience the skipping heart...PCs, pacs, and all kinds of others that I feel are going to kill me. I don't know but I was just diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and h.pylorimwith intestinal metaplasia,which has now scared all of the beans right out of me. The skipped heart beats have come back with a vengeance....I can feel the acid in my chest sometimes and then the fear sets in ...am afraid to take an antacid because of side effects and so on....the fears just don't stop! Thanks, BoneyM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information