Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest infection...bad night last night..very worried...please help

Chest infection...bad night last night..very worried...please help

So I have a chest infection and have antibiotics (amoxillian) to take 3 times a day.
    Last night was particularly bad...I woke up 3 times during the night and each time I was wheezing quite loudly (loudly enough to wake me up)...then there was lots of phlegm being coughed up...but what's worrying is I had a sharp pain in my ribcage/chest (near the bottom) as I breathed in deeply. It as only relieved by coughing up more phlegm. Each time I laid back down I had the pain again and more coughing...so obviously very little sleep.

I've had chest infections before but never had pain when I breathe in...should I be concerned? Or go to a&e?

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Chest infection...bad night last night..very worried...please help

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    So I have a chest infection and have antibiotics (amoxillian) to take 3 times a day.
    Last night was particularly bad...I woke up 3 times during the night and each time I was wheezing quite loudly (loudly enough to wake me up)...then there was lots of phlegm being coughed up...but what's worrying is I had a sharp pain in my ribcage/chest (near the bottom) as I breathed in deeply. It as only relieved by coughing up more phlegm. Each time I laid back down I had the pain again and more coughing...so obviously very little sleep.

I've had chest infections before but never had pain when I breathe in...should I be concerned? Or go to a&e?
    You have bronchitis. Your ribcage is irritated by constant coughing-hence the pain. The phlegm causes the wheezing sounds.

You're on antibiotics, they'll clear the infection and you'll be fine. Bear in mind that after chest infection coughing can last for weeks-don't let that scare you

Margaret Thatcher

Thanks, although I'm not sure it's pain from coughing...that's why I was worried.

How many times a day can I do a steam inhalation?

- Emily Brontė

I have suffered awful chest infections in the past. Terrible cough, rattling, wheezing, zero sleep, breathing problems and terrible chest pain

Everytime i have had a chest infection I've had very very very bad pain when I breathed in. I assumed this was the norm. If you're on antibiotics then you will be fine.

The quantity of phlegm indicates a bacterial infection (probably bronchitis).

Waking three times in the night is not too bad. Do you have a thermometer? If you wake much more frequently with a fever, it may be more serious, and you should go to a hospital.

I've had some horrible nights with both influenza and bronchitis, and always survived.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    The quantity of phlegm indicates a bacterial infection (probably bronchitis).

Waking three times in the night is not too bad. Do you have a thermometer? If you wake much more frequently with a fever, it may be more serious, and you should go to a hospital.

I've had some horrible nights with both influenza and bronchitis, and always survived.
    I'm not waking up with a fever, I'm waking up because of the wheezing and coughing. I've had much worse feverish nights when I've had the flu.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Does anybody know how many times a day I can do steam inhalation?

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Anybody?

- Emily Brontė

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    I'm not waking up with a fever, I'm waking up because of the wheezing and coughing. I've had much worse feverish nights when I've had the flu.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Does anybody know how many times a day I can do steam inhalation?

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Anybody?
    Pick up the phone and call the doctor's office Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks guys, I'm hoping tonight isn't as bad!

- Emily Brontė

I would use the steam inhalation a couple of times a day. Maybe morning and night. It can't do you any harm.

I had pleurisy and had sharp pains in my chest. How long have you been on the antibiotics?
    You can steam as often as you like, no harm there and warm baths too.
    I would probably go back to the dr if you don't feel you're getting better and you've been on the antibiotics a couple of days. We've got the weekend coming up so perhaps try to get in tonight just for your own peace of mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information