Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeing the doctor today. at my lowest point.

seeing the doctor today. at my lowest point.

So my doctor has been telling me that my rib pain is muscular but eventually sent me for bloods and a chest xray.
    I phoned for my blood results yesterday and they told me my calcium levels are slightly high and I need to see the doctor. She said it wasn't urgent and they would have phoned me if it was.
    She also said my xray showed no changes from 2009.
    This worried me. My xray results shouldn't be back until next week. Why are they early? Has the doctor rushed them because of something serious? Also she didn't say it was clear, or fine. She just said no changes from 2009. I don't even remember having a chest xray in 2009.
    Stupidly I've googled, I knew what would show up before I even typed it in because my mum had high calcium while she was dying of breast cancer in October.
    I can not see rationally. This isn't just anxiety. I'm so terrified. I phoned for an emergency appointment with my doctor this morning because I can't wait. I'm seeing her at 10. The receptionist said it wasn't urgent, was only slightly raised and not to panic. But I am panicking.
    I'm sure that in an hour, I'll leave the doctors with a referral for tests for cancer.
    I can't function today.

Re: seeing the doctor today. at my lowest point.

And I'm sure that in an hour you'll leave the doctors with all clear x-ray and perfectly harmless explanation for raised calcium levels.

Wanna bet?

Margaret Thatcher

I'm sure they wouldn't have said it wasn't urgent if it was. It's 9.30 now so not long to wait. I know I'm a fine one to talk but just try some deep breathing and positive thinking. I look forward to seeing your post later that you are fine! Good luck xxx

Slow rhythmic breathing is the best, breathe in for 3 seconds and then exhale for 4 seconds, if you do this in rhythm, you will notice a big difference with practice. Good Luck, I'm sure your results will be good

Ex-sufferer of anxiety and panic disorder, I am willing to help anyone, so feel free and ask for help

Every blood test I've ever had, maybe ten or twenty per cent of the readings have been slightly high or slightly low.

You don't have cancer and I will bet on that as well !

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Well the first question she asked me was am I taking any vitamin supplements. I then had to admit that I took two extra before the test because I was scared of being anaemic. She said that was a stupid thing to do and given that I'm only 29, external sources are the most likely cause of high calcium and she wants the test repeated in 3 weeks.... without vitamin supplements!!
    My xray was clear and all other bloods fine.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Thanks guys for all the support. She also suggested upping my dose of citalopram to 40mg and getting some bereavement counseling as its only been 4 months since I lost my mum to cancer.

Interesting. Thought the body just excreted what it does not need. Food for thought when taking supplements. As Sheldon says in big band theory -'expensive urine'!

Why didn't you accept the bet?

Sorry to hear about your mum!

Margaret Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by hangingbasket View Post
    Well the first question she asked me was am I taking any vitamin supplements. I then had to admit that I took two extra before the test because I was scared of being anaemic. She said that was a stupid thing to do and given that I'm only 29, external sources are the most likely cause of high calcium and she wants the test repeated in 3 weeks.... without vitamin supplements!!
    My xray was clear and all other bloods fine.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Thanks guys for all the support. She also suggested upping my dose of citalopram to 40mg and getting some bereavement counseling as its only been 4 months since I lost my mum to cancer.
    Sounds like you have a good doctor who just gave you great advice.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information