Thread: 'Maladaptive Daydreaming'?

'Maladaptive Daydreaming'?

It's something I've done since I was child but only recently did I realise there's actually a name for it! How relieved am I!

Basically people who have it excessively/compulsively daydream/fantasize stories or alternative realities in their minds. They completely immerse themselves in it.

It's quite hard to explain but if you Google it, you'll find more information. But it's something that's only recently even been named!

When I was little I would bop around my room immersed in some weird mental fantasy which was like a tv programme or film. I would have characters & a very vivid physical place for these characters, people/places from my own life or that I'd made up. I also used to scatter my Disney VHS's along my bed & take all the characters from the films & create a mental story/fantasy with them. Weird right?

It carried on on & off throughout my childhood but unfortunately when I hit my teens it became a daily thing, I was severely suffering from SAD & used these fantasies to distract me from my own fears & life, it was like an escape. I used to mainly fantasize about myself as a person I'd love to be & how I desperately wanted my life to be. But I was completely aware it all was not real (thankfully). It became an addiction when I just couldn't face reality, I switched off & withdrew from the world.

& It carries on till today. I think my little world inside my head has kept me sane for all these years I've suffered from SAD & panic attacks, it's kept me from dying of boredom or thinking of other more serious thoughts whilst being cooped up in my room day in day out. It's mainly all fantasies/alternative realities of how I'd like my life to be or just me creating people & stories. I also react situations that's happened in my daily life. It's similar to when a writer writes a script - just all in my mind & played out in my mind, very vividly, like a film. I would also emote what I was thinking occasionally.

But it's still an addiction/OCD type thing, I also have a thing where I'm constantly looking at other people's lives from where I live on FB & acting little scenarios out in my little mental world. I think it's also kept me from being completely detached from the world, by seeing what 'normal' people were doing, talking about etc. I've always been in the loop regardless of how alienated I made myself.
    I read other people's experiences on the internet & someone referred to it as a 'coping mechanism' definitely agree there. I think once I start being truly happy & more social in my normal life I'll hopefully stop doing it, I'll actually be happy with my life & not want to fantasize anymore.

Can anyone else relate? Or Am I the only one...? I feel like such a freak sharing this...
    Last edited by Charlotteee89; 12-02-14 at 22:40.

Re: 'Maladaptive Daydreaming'?

Oh my goodness, its not just me then... I daydream a lot about fantasy worlds and scenarios I always thought I was just a child mentality still but apparently not! In fact I think I do this to escape the stress of the real world for a bit, so I make my own perfect fantasy... I have a very deep imagination and can invent a whole fantasy novel in minutes. Perhaps this is our way of coping with stress, retreating into ourselves?

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I do this too......my Psychologist told me years ago that it is perfectly "normal"

I could have written this myself! Although
    When I was little I would bop around my room immersed in some weird mental fantasy which was like a tv programme or film. I would have characters & a very vivid physical place for these characters, people/places from my own life or that I'd made up. I also used to scatter my Disney VHS's along my bed & take all the characters from the films & create a mental story/fantasy with them. Weird right?
    No not at all weird.

Be careful: Google and the medical profession have a name for everything and once something has a name you will think it's a "disorder" and therefore "wrong an needs fixing".
    I think everyone daydreams like this, you are just imaginative. I dream them up too and things I wouldn't admit to dreaming as well. It is a coping mechanism, so let it do it's thing until the world sweeps you away
    I also practise mindfulness, have you looked into it? It's about trying to live in the moment and training yourself to cope with the world at present and making it better for you.
    Remember. You are normal.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

ah this was nice to read, i'm a daydreamer too! i think as a child i was told it was an overactive imagination but then i had night terrors and all sorts when i was a kid, i always make up little stories and fill my time re-thinking different scenarios. like you said its like a movie playing inside my head i don't see anything wrong with it.... i lucid dream too so i'm often living inside my brain!, if that makes sense? i do agree with it being a coping thing too.. i often daydreamed and avoided doing things when i suffer with lows and anxiety, its a nice escape.. but i wish i could try and focus all that mental power into my daily life, being more productive and stuff... x

I honestly had no idea that it even had a name!

But now I'm aware it's called a specific name I've become more aware I do it... Kinda ruins it a bit! Haha.

Glad I'm not the only one though.

I also daydream alot, I find it relaxing. If i find myself daydreaming too much, which never seems to be enough, i try to read a book or if i have the energy, i knit or play the piano. I knit squares as that is all i know about it. but i've been knitting the squares so i can sew them together for a blanket,and to be funny, they look like a kid made them, but it even lets me relax and daydream at the same time.I'm the girl with the far away eyes, i'm usually thinking of something profound or just previous conversations with other people.I hope this helps-avlady

Thread Information