Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exposure therapy

Exposure therapy

The next step in my CBT workbook is exposure therapy. I've been reading ALS stories because it is my number 1 fear. Now that my head is a bit clearer I can read the stories and feel for the people who are suffering with that horrible disease instead of thinking about just me. My dragon is begging me to feed it but so far no goes. The irrational thought is still there but i find myself getting more angry than panicky. I want to be free of this and I want to enjoy life. I can't do that thinking about death. We are all going to die one day anyway. I read this line in a graphic novel recently and I say it to myself "life is the lock and death is the key. Open it up and then you are free." Tonight I am doing another exposure therapy and I have to admit I'm a bit nervous. It's watching a scary movie alone. I used to love scary movies but haven't watched one through in 2 years. Sounds silly but this is a big step. Just waiting for my daughter to fall asleep. Thanks for the ongoing support everyone

Re: Exposure therapy

You're kickin' Dragon butt and taking no prisoners!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks fishmanpa! I did it I got through the whole movie. I was very nervous at first but then I got into it! Proud of myself

What movie was it? I like creepy films. Not the silly slasher crazy man type but ones like The Shining. The Omen or the original Aliens

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Sounds like you are making some great progress Congrats on getting through the whole movie! You're doing a great job.

Hi Rose Eve, may I ask what CBT book you are using? I'm really interested in doing exposure therapy for HA, although the thought terrifies me. I know I need to face my fears.

Fishmanpa I totally agree with that I don't like gory movies. I like the ones that get into your head. It's Stephen kings 1408. Have you seen it?

Anthrokid thank you for your words of encouragement it means a lot

Primula the book is called, overcoming health anxiety by Kathleen Owens and Martin Antony. It has really helped me. The exposure therapy comes at the end.

I personally think exposure therapy is the best thing for anxiety. That is just my opinion I hasten to add

Quote Originally Posted by RoseEve View Post
    Fishmanpa I totally agree with that I don't like gory movies. I like the ones that get into your head. It's Stephen kings 1408. Have you seen it?
    Ahhh... Stephen King... I've read many of his books. Haven't seen that movie yet... Worth checking out?

Positive thoughts

Yes it sure is! It's one of my favorites. I also really like the mist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information