Thread: Beginning sertraline tomorrow

Beginning sertraline tomorrow

Hi everyone, I've had anxiety and panic attacks for nearly 2 months now. The first one came in the middle of a 2 hour to drive to university in horrible wind and rain, and I constantly feel dizzy, sick, tense and have a headache.
    It's ten times worse whenever I'm anywhere in public, so I've found myself avoiding going out. It's stopped me from going to university; I've moved back home to be with my mum while I get over the first hurdle.
    My dad died suddenly in June at home with me, so I think this is also a contributing factor, I was so close with him and I was with him when he died.

My doctor prescribed me with buspirone, which slightly helped my racing heart, but I still felt terribly dizzy and had horrible migraines.
    He's now prescribed me with sertraline, which I am nervous to start taking because (silly me!) I've read all the horror stories on the internet. I asked him for citalopram, because I was recommended it by a friend whose father also died and she developed it too, but the doctor said something about it being linked with a heart condition and that he wasn't sure if it was for anxiety.
    I'll be honest and say I wish he had given me that rather than the sertraline, because my friend couldn't stop singing its praises and I was holding out hope for it. But, I'm going to start sertraline tomorrow. Hoping the side effects aren't too bad, especially while I'm adjusting to it.

I've also contacted a lady about hypnotherapy/counselling/CBT, so hopefully I will be starting that soon.

Wish me luck!

Re: Beginning sertraline tomorrow

Hi spice63 in my opinion thats a good choice I've been on citalopram and let me tell you one thing I wanted to die I asked my husband to take me to a&e and leave me there.
    I started sertraline again 11 days ago first wk I only took half of the tablet and second week full tablet.
    Till now im doing fine no major side effects well basically none now at the beginning I had nausea make sure u take it in a full stomach like me and hope to god you will be doing great.
    Best of luck any questions please do ask your not alone

Hi spice63 how are you doing today?

Thanks ilda8786, really appreciate it! Your experience with citalopram sounds horrible! Glad to hear you're doing a bit better on sertraline.

I took my first pill (well just half, 25mg) this morning at about 10 just after my breakfast. So far doing alright, feeling a bit headachey, dizzy and sick but nothing out of the ordinary, probably hasn't done much yet though! Trying to keep busy to take my mind off it.

How are you feeling today?

That's really good to know have the doctor gave you something else to take to help?
    Im doing fine day 12 for me one wk I was on 25mg the next wk went up to 50.
    Keep us posted and if u need something or you worried with something just ask

No doctor hasn't given me anything else Hopefully I'll be able to pull through it without, if not I'll have to ring him!

Day 2 has gone well, not done much today but haven't felt any new side effects or anything, still felt a bit nauseous, headachey and dizzy but nothing too bad. Popped into the shop today for a few bits and didn't feel anxious at all. Woke up once last night in a hot flush but think it was just because my radiator was too hot!

Got my first hypno/psychotherapy/CBT session on monday which I'm looking forward to. Think that has really cheered me up so I'm already feeling more positive!

That's really good. Hope you feel better soon and no big side effects
    Positive all the time that's what we have to be

Hi everyone, just thought I'd let you know how I'm getting on.

I've been on 50mg sertraline for 3 and a half weeks now. The first two weeks I had mild side effects, nausea, constipation, loss of appetite, slight loss of weight. Nothing horrendous. I feel 100x better already though. I will say that I have been on my period for the full time I've been taking the tablets, and I find I need to wee a lot more, but these are listed under the side effects and my GP has said that they should settle down. Also my breathing is sometimes a little bit funny, but I think that's because I'm so aware of it.

I still have to push myself to get up and get going, but once I have I feel about 80% normal again. I travelled by train by myself the other day and went shopping in a city centre. This is a massive step for me, when about 4 weeks ago I was scared to step out of my house! Have been to the supermarket plenty of times, been shopping, been out to restaurants for food. Feeling loads better! I feel the worst (not bad, but the least better) when I'm just sat watching telly, but I feel about 80% relaxed.

My driving is really coming along too, still nervous when travelling at 60mph+ but I'm getting out and about, and I'm 100% certain that I'm well enough to drive and not a danger.

I am seeing a psychotherapist/hypnotherapist which I believe is really helping too, just talking to her and going through the hypnotherapy (a deep state of relaxation) is building my confidence, and I look forward to it every week.

My family and close friends have been so supportive too. I think it's important to tell people so they can help and give you that little nudge to keep pushing yourself and stay positive, and just to have someone to discuss it all with because it has sometimes become overwhelming and I've felt sorry for myself and just needed a good moan and cry!

I know it's only early days, but I'm so positive! I was so scared to take these tablets because of all the hype around them and the side effects, but I'm so happy that I did. To anyone out there who's nervous to take them or feels like it's giving in, it's really not. We all need help sometimes. I'm proof that things can get better!

Sending positivity to you all!

Glad you are ok spice63
    Keep going. Tomorrow my dose goes up to 100mg:/.
    A bit nervous about it but thinking positive
    Sending you a big hug

I went up to 100mg two weeks ago guys and I feel so much better. Don't be scared to increase the dose, I didn't even have any side effects. Hugs to you both.

Thread Information