Thread: Why is fluoxitine doing this to me? :(

Why is fluoxitine doing this to me? :(

Hi all,

I am on day 4 of being on the fluoxitine tablets and they seem to be doing more bad than good. Since I have taken them, I haven't felt myself, been quite shaky, high and low moods, but mainly I feel really spaced out, and not able to concentrate including being a little forgetful (stupid things etc). I certainly dont remember being like this at all before I started, and I actually feel worst, I even remember it being an effort to get the right words out when I talk. I really do hate the fluox tablets (im on 20mg) and is going back to my dr on wednesday to explain my feelings. I feel that the tabs could effect my work too which is a worry. I was prescribed the tabs for a short bout of anxiety, and instead they have prolonged my anxiety. I just hate the feeling of not being all with it and hazy in my head, its not a good feeling at all.

Can anyone give any advice / or relate to me and if how Im feeling is normal?

Thanks guys and girls!

Re: Why is fluoxitine doing this to me? :(

Hi Alex, im on a different med than you...citalopram but can identify with how it is making you feel. These type of antidepressants tend to make you feel worse (while they kick in which is around 4-6wks) with side effects.
    I'm on 20mg and am just over 2weeks in. Mine is for anxiety and depression. I had the spaced out feeling for just over a week after starting...sore jaw from grinding, completely forgetful and occasionally couldn't get my words out. My side effects are starting to settle down now but unfortunately im still extremely depressed so think the doc may up my dose.
    I'm sure the side effects you are experiencing will start to subside after a couple of weeks. If they are making it hard to work maybe your doc could sign you off whilst your body adjusts to the medication?

HI,ALEXUK.Iam taking fluoxetine 20mg a day and have been for 5 weeks the side effects have been awful ,stomach problems feeling hazy headaches and feeling very very anxious , I have been told these side effects should disappear in the next couple of weeks but it seems a lifetime when you feel as I do but I have to think the side effects are part of the medicine starting to get into my body and mind ,I really know how bad your feeling but we have to stick together and try to see each other through the worst then we can tell others about our positive outcomes ,I know this seems hard just now but we have to stick it out so we can get our lives back on track WE DERSERVE IT DON'T WE.

Hi Alex,

Please see the link below. It is a list of things that I went through whilst adjusting to Fluox...

http://nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147706

Stick with it, It gets a lot better and you will adjust to it!

All the best

Ben

HI ALEX, I hope you are feeling a little better now and the side effects are easing , I have now been on fluoxetine for 8 weeks now and I am starting to feel more like myself , like you the first weeks were awful but I seem to be getting there now and I hope you are the same , the side effects make you feel like the medication is not for you but if you can stick with it and I know this can be hard it will be worth it .

Unfortunately with medication the side effects come before the therapeutic effect. This is because it takes a few weeks for the therapeutic levels to reach where they are suppose to be, and even then it has to be at the correct dose that will have an effect on your mood....This is why there is no one med to fix all, as everyone is different.

Just remember that these new symptoms and feeling are side effects and they will get better. Try and ride it out but if you are really struggling speak to your doctor about them to see if there is anything they can do to help.

Good luck

Hi Alex,
    This didn't happen to me with fluoxetine, but it did when I took sertraline. I remember feeling as though I was poisoning myself every time I took a tablet! The side-effects went away after a couple of weeks and the medication did help my anxiety, so hang on in there. Of course, if you are really concerned or the side-effects are intolerable, talk to your doctor because that's good enough reason to try a different med.
    Good luck and hugs to you

HI ALEX , Just wondering if you stuck with the medication and if you are feeling any improvement , has the side effects eased I know they are awful but when you have got fluoxetine in your system and its working its one of the best , it seems to take a while to settle down but then you should feel much better and I hope you have started to get the effects of the fluoxetine now ,

Thread Information