Thread: safe dosage of diazepam

safe dosage of diazepam

what is a safe dosage of diazepam ,i am supposed to take 1 x2mg a day but so stressed out have taken 2x2mgs today also 1x10mg propranalol supposed to take 1 x4 times a day also on mirtzapine 15mg i to be taken at night how much longer before the antidepressants start to work. i have had about enough of this horrible anxiety

l.m.bell

i was started on 1 x 2mg. i also started doubling my dose. Diazepam, if you take too much, will make you clumsy and verry sleepy. After time your body will get used to it and you will need to take more to get the same relief/effect. It is addictive and some people take over 100mg a day......

I was prescribed 2mg a day, but I got immune to it so I upped the dose and took 2mg as and when. My friend was on 10mg and she was really "monged" out on it. I suppose it also depends on what other medication you are taking as well. I was taking Prozac 20mg a day as well, but once they had got into my system I stopped taking the Diazepam and was fine. Diazepam is addictive, you get dependent on that "coming down" feeling, but it really was a lifeline to me at the time, and I didn't have any side effects or anything.

Les

There's a lot of debate about diazepam on here, yet no-one seems to have taken professional advice about diazepam.
    I have asked both my doctor and pshychiatrist about this, they have both said that the addictive/withdrawal problems generally occur when people are taking high dosages (i.e. 10mg or more a day) over a period of time (for some people, weeks and for some months).

I've had discussions with my psychiatrist recently as I was changing medication. She said that small doses for a few weeks are not addictive if they are needed. If they make you feel less anxious then it's worth it and it's not too difficult to come off small doses. Xanax is another matter - it's much more addictive as it has a short half life.

Thread Information