Thread: Heart Arrhythmia

Heart Arrhythmia

Can Citalopram cause heart arrhythmia?

I am no stranger to PAC's and PVC's. But today it's day 2 on the Citalopram and I just had a nasty case of arrhythmia. Something I've not experienced before. Wasn't the usual skip, pause, thud type feeling. It was more like a flutter, pause, flutter, skip, flutter, pause type feeling.

I was really hoping these meds can fix my anxiety. I've had horrible side effects from these this time around. Tiredness mainly and waking up drenched in sweat.

Any insight please?

Re: Heart Arrhythmia

To be honest there seems to be very few side effects or problems that aren't caused by anxiety or citalopram in the first couple of weeks, I certainly had the tiredness and sweating. It would surprise me not at all if your body does some weird stuff.

It does clear though and I actually am beginning to feel pretty okay. This is around 5 weeks in.

I do recall side effects in the past. I will battle through these, because I'd rather suffer arrhythmia for the first few days/weeks and be able to leave the house and do normal stuff than to stop taking them.

100% a definite increase in heart activity though. Even lying here I can feel it. It's not deliberating, just very unpleasant and uncomfortable.

Once when I was on these tablets I had a beer, and had to call an ambulance, that was some real bad arrhythmia, but of course soon as the ambulance arrived my heart went back to normal.

Fingers crossed for me. I need these to work. Can not do anxiety no more. Had enough.

Citalopram has been linked to 'Heart Arrhythmia' but only at higher doses above 40mg per day, see NHS link below.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/07July/P...y-warning.aspx

I actually discussed this with my doctor last month because I have been on 40mg for over two months now & it just doesn't seem to be working as well as it should. He said it was possible to try a higher dose if things still don't improve, but I probably would need to have a few tests first, just to make sure that I wasn't in the high risk group.

If you aren't taking over 40mg it's probably just anxiety, but discuss it with your doctor if you are worried.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernGeek View Post
    Citalopram has been linked to 'Heart Arrhythmia' but only at higher doses above 40mg per day, see NHS link below.

I actually discussed this with my doctor last month because I have been on 40mg for over two months now & it just doesn't seem to be working as well as it should. He said it was possible to try a higher dose if things still don't improve, but I probably would need to have a few tests first, just to make sure that I wasn't in the high risk group.

If you aren't taking over 40mg it's probably just anxiety, but discuss it with your doctor if you are worried.
    I'm only taking 20mg, but I've not had a repeat of yesterday today. I do recall the same issues in the past I believe. Just one of them things I have to deal with whilst I'm on them. Not a major concern as I'm used to arrhythmia.

Thread Information