Thread: Petechiae?!

Petechiae?!

Hello it's me again..

I'm not in full blown panic mode right but I'm wondering if anyone can help me rationalise / offer advice on a few things.

This is not something I would have worried about before HA but oh well! I have what I think are spots of petechiae on my upper body. They're a light reddish colour (definitely not purple) but under the skin. I get these a lot on my shoulders (sometimes in lines, sometimes more just random dots) when I wear tight clothes or carry heavy bags, or scratch myself really hard (I'm not very gentle on myself!) I never really thought much about it but I've noticed a few single dots on my boobs recently. I don't want to panic too much because I've googled petechiae and my spots are so sparse compared to the google image search but it just seems a bit random. Could these be due to my bra rubbing my skin maybe? I'm also really bad at picking the tiny hair follicles on my boobs (I'm sorry that really is TMI) they fade away I think, more sometimes appear but the spots themselves aren't permanent.

I think what I'm trying to say is this something I need to get checked out? Or be worried about even? I've always had quite sensitive skin really. I get a few bruises too but I'm clumsy and I can usually recall where they're from.

I'm 26 and get the Morgan de Campbell spots too (does anyone else get these at my age?! I've heard they're an 'ageing skin' thing!) I have loads on my upper arms.

I'm sorry I'm updating my own post but just found this rather angry looking patch from underneath my bra on my shoulder (see pic) Would this still be normal? I was leaning on the sofa arm for a few hours last night and my bra seems to have left the scariest looking rash! I'm getting a little scared to be honest..!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg -1.jpg (11.9 KB, 4309 views)
    Last edited by cut_out_stars; 02-03-14 at 11:05. Reason: picture update

Re: Petechiae?!

Every girl I've been close enough to to find out has had those marks from their bras. I get very red when scratching too, especially in the colder weather. You're fine!

My partner gets the same thing (it sounds like) whenever he's been at the gym. I remember the first time I noticed it on his back and shoulders. We had no idea what it was, and in a couple of days it was gone. THen all of a sudden it was back again. Eventually we figured out it was from the weights at gym!

Funnily enough, I get these sparse pinprick red dots over my breasts and my upper arms for absolutely no reason. I wasn't worrie about it at all, but last time I visited the doctor for a general check-up on my fibro, I asked her about them and she did a couple of blood tests. Found nothing abnormal to explain the rash. Just letting it be for now unless it gets any worse

I know my son got petechiae on his face when he had the stomach flu, from vomiting.
    Apparently even vomiting or severe coughing fits can cause them.
    I always get them when I'm in labor, too, from straining.
    I don't think they're a real serious issue.
    I also get a similar rash of red-purple dots where my bra rubs my skin, but it never occurred to me that they were petechiae.
    I think they are irritated hair follicles or something, but it looks pretty similar.

Thank you everyone. I'm currently trying not to freak about cos I've found a quite big patch on my back (not sure if I've had it on my back before) this morning.. Where the loops in the back of my bra rub my skin if I'm leaning on something (I was, the sofa last night)

So if it's something external causing it it could be normal? It only seems to appear where things rub the skin..

I would say if it is caused externally it probably isn't much to worry about - like I said, my partner has the same thing whenever he does weights at the gym, as does his gym buddy! Just pop in to your doctor if you're still unsure and they'll be able to help you out with more information and may even be able to give you a firm cause

@anthrokid - I think I will mention to my Dr next time I'm there. But thank you for taking the time to reply, it's helped put my mind at ease a little. I think maybe because I'm pale (and have quite sensitive skin) everything seems to show up on me more maybe

You're welcome I'm also very pale, so I notice everything on my skin much more than others also. My veins seem so bright and blue, and often my partner and I joke about me being prettymuch transparent.

Haha, me too! I tried on a pair of shorts for summer the other day and I swear I got retina burns my legs are so pale *__*

I am getting lots of red blood spots coming up all over my body and it's freaking me out. I've seen three doctors and all of them have told me not to worry but I continue to do so. I have had many blood tests but all results come back normal. What on earth could be causing them. I have IBD but I have been told there is no link. I have them on my tummy, legs, arms and breasts at the moment.

I am so worried it is something sinister

Thread Information