Thread: BP readings

BP readings

As mentioned in previous posts I have to take BP readings for a week, I've probably done it for about 4 days now (not consistently) and they've ranged from 130/84 and 143/104 but I've had more on the higher side and more with the second number in the 100's!
    I always take my BP when I've been sat down for a good 30mins and I keep getting readings of around 140/100 with a resting HR of around 75 so why the hell is my BP so high if my HR isn't high!?
    Can you be anxious but have low HR? I always thought anxiousness gave you higher HR which then led to higher BP.
    I'm so scared, I've been not getting great sleep and I've been having panic attacks 4 in the morning just thinking of my BP.
    I'm 22, fit and healthy and don't want to die of a heart attack or something heart related, because that's what's always playing on my mind.

Re: BP readings

I'm 32, I have been having headaches, dizziness, hot flushing and been under a ton of in-laws stress....

My blood pressure readings were between 170/125 - 145/100 and not lower at any point in the last 2 weeks! my heart rate was also like yours at around 80.

I could literally feel my heart rate/pulse in my ear drum and could take my pulse almost on any area of my head by touch.

Dr quickly put me on an ACE inhibitor which I have been taking since but even that did not bring my bp down. I am being tested for other causes of high bp like kidneys via blood/urine and ultrasound BUT in my opinion it is caused by stress and anxiety.

The reason for this is because I took 10 mg diazepam (5mg won't even being to touch me) and my once that had got into my system my bp dropped to normal range from a figure of 170/125.

I was then given the beta blocker Propranolol 40mg x 3 daily as required for anxiety. I have taken as much as 80 mg spread out only. All I can say is what a difference! my resting bp and heart rate at night time are 117/76 and 56 bpm. I have been far less dizzy, headaches improved a fair bit, not flushing either, feel nice and cool.

Beta blockers work on Adrenaline by the way.

So in answer to your question, YES I firmly believe Anxiety/Stress can and will do this.

The problem with having a home monitor, which i'm assuming you have as do I, is that you can take readings all day long, but then BP can change all day long too, depending on what you're doing and how you feel, and obviously if you are anxious about it.

I was first diagnosed with high BP in 2007 after moving house and registering with a new doctor, so it was picked up during the new patient exam and it was 180 over 110! I can remember even now how it made me feel...it terrified me, thinking I was about to have a heart attack or a stroke. It didn't stay that high permenantly, but it did..and still does.. go up and down and on a bad reading can be around 160 over 90. It improved lots when i was given Propranolol and my dose has been reduced from 80mg to 40 and I think losing the fear of a higher reading has helped it to stay much more normal, which for me is around 138 over 80.

I also know my triggers such as having too much alcohol...if I take a reading the following day it can be quite high!

These days I only take a reading about once a week on my doctors recomendation...its not necessary to take it throughout the day every day, as it's normal to fluctuate alot and can only bring more anxiety.

I read in one of the user manuals that the bottom reading can be falsely high on a home montitor, as the monitor is very sensitive. The top isn't as sensitive. I noticed if I moved my arm, talked, or didn't have the band on right, it would be high.

I can't remember when I started taking BP tablets but currently I'm taking 10mg amlodipine, I think it's been about 1 year and a half now.. so I was around 19/20 when I was given the tablets.
    I too have had many tests done to rule out that there's something wrong with me i.e numerous 24hr urine tests to check cortisol levels, CT scan on the heart, full body MRI and everything came out perfect.
    I went for blood on my liver and kidney couple of weeks back, they came back fine too.
    So the Dr at the heart institution at my local hospital have basically said "get on with your life" as we cannot find anything. Now as a hypercondriac or anxious person, whatever you may call it, it's not easy to take in. If it were that easy we wouldn't have health anxiety.

Generally my life style is a healthy one, I don't drink, I don't have salt on my foods I exercise regularly, nor have I ever smoked or done drugs. So from my end I'm doing the very best I can in order to keep my body healthy. I stay away from processed foods and only eat natural foods which I have made (apart from nandos ) so yeah I don't really know what more to do.

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, not sure how differently that works to beta blockers.

Your first post in this thread says you're anxious about your bp and waking up having panic attacks about it. This alone is going to raise your bp. So every time you take it it is going to be high as your body is anticipating it being so and won't fail to disappoint. You need to remain calm and relax taking it. That's easier said than done I know.
    Maybe your meds don't suit you though, have you spoken to your gp about changing them to a different type?

I have to do 1 week readings and then the BP 'expert' who is a chemist basically will review the readings and most likely make me do a 24hr test and take it from there.
    But if it is true (most likely is) that it's up with anxiety then adding another tablet will potentially lower my BP too low?
    Feels like you can't win against BP

Well, you shouldn't take another tablet unless the doctor tells you to, but in general you wouldn't be sending your blood pressure "too low." Low in its own right isn't a big deal with blood pressure--it's whether it means something has gone wrong. I have a friend whose normal BP is 90/60.

Thread Information