Thread: How to help friend suffereng from panic attacks

How to help friend suffereng from panic attacks

Hi,

I have a friend & housemate who suffers from pretty servere panic attacks quite regularly. If possible, I'd like to help reduce the frequency and severity of her attacks, but I don't know what to do. I've found that trying to talk about other, positive topics tends to help prevent them from occuring while I'm with her, but I don't know what to do or talk about when she's just had an attack.

I'm never able to help while she's having an attack since -- being the proud person she is -- she shuts herself in her room, prefering not to be seen by anyone.

Can any sufferers/friends of sufferers please let me know how I can help her.

Thanks.

hi durbledob

you sound like a great friend to be asking for help for your friend. You are doing the right thing by trying to take her mind off things but she has got to accept that the panic attack isnt going to hurt her in anyway and by fighting the fear of having one she is emphasising it more.

maybe tell her to try and occupy herself when she starts to feel edgy, go for a walk, do some housework and tell her to say to herself "im not frightened of you, tell her to treat it like a bully, because thats what it is, but now she has got the strength to fight back.

you could reassure her by letting her know that no one has ever died from having a panic attack and that it is so common in todays society. maybe she could come on here because that would take her mind off an attack, tell her to do breathing exercises also, in for 5 out for 8.

feel free to ask some more questions, we are alll here to help

take care

ruth x

Hi,
    It is nice to see that she has such a great friend. I found that for me it wasn't until I started to talk about it that I started to feel better. When it first started I hid it from everyone and felt horrible. Now that people know I feel much better because I can talk about it. For me the best thing someone can do is listen to me. Distraction can also work wonders. Try taking her for a walk. I hope I have helped in some way. Please let her know that she is not alone!

Take care,

Michelle

Thread Information