Thread: blood when wiping..

blood when wiping..

Hello, and sorry in advance if this post is a bit TMI!

So, a couple of days ago I went to the loo, had to wipe quite a bit (IBS sufferer!) and noticed a very minimal amount of bright red blood on the paper. It seemed like this was coming from the outside (I couldn't see any blood on my.. um.. stools) I felt kind of.. itchy that day too.

This has happened once before a little while back (months ago same circumstances) and there was a little more blood that time but again not loads. Just ignored it then..

I've 'been' a few times since the most recent example and no blood, itchiness, totally normal..

I'm not sure whether I need to see the Dr?! Cos you read its never normal and you should go if you notice it? I'm 26, vegetarian, eat tons of fibre and drink lots of water! I know that doesn't make me immune from things but.. Argh I'm so trying not to think the worst!

Has anyone else had this?!

Re: blood when wiping..

Yes I have and it sounds like haemorrhoids. You can try some ointment from the chemist and bathing in Epsom salts helps.

Oo-er! Thanks for the reply Annie, I've never heard of Epsom salts.. Can I get hold of them easily?

You're not in a risk group for anything nasty - and the fact that you saw the blood after wiping a lot suggests that it's probably 'external' rather than internal. Could be piles, but if it wasn't much blood at all it might not even be that. I have IBS too and if I have a 'heavy wiping' day (ew. TMI, sorry!) there's sometimes blood on the paper. But I don't have piles, I've literally just rubbed the (v.delicate!) skin a bit raw.

You can get them at the chemist but I buy mine in bulk on ebay.

Definitely sounds like 'piles'. I only had them for the first time a few months ago after a severe case of constipation and I was worried too when I saw the blood but the doctor told me if its bright red, its fresh and most likely from a small tear or a haemorrhoid especially if you have been constipated. You can get cream from your doctor or chemist for them. Mine weren't too painful so I just left them and they were healed by the next time a done a poo which was few days later.

I had this about a month ago it was a anual fissure I was given cream and laxatives. Go and see your gp big hugs take care xxxx

If you are straining a lot, it could be from that.

Its likely to be the roids though. Ive had them for over 15 years and they come and go. They itch as they inflame due to straining and sometimes bleed. I think the bleeding comes due to the extra wiping.

If it is roids, the GP wjll just do a quick examination which will be a harmless feel of the area to determine if there are any issues inside with them.

The likely outcome would be some toilet advice (dont strain, diet & fibre, etc) and some cream that can be applied inside and outside. Your GP can give you stronger stuff to apply such as a steroid based cream or a foam. There are even suppositories but they are slow to dissolve and the foam was the easiest for me to use.

Its worth checking with your GP.

Sounds like roads to me too! I get them quite often unfortunately and they can itch! I use anusol, but strangely if I have a heavy night on the alcohol that's what brings mine on! So I tend to avoid that for a while.x

Thread Information