Thread: Neck and shoulder ache

Neck and shoulder ache

I have had a neck pain/ache for several months now.....we are doing a lot work in the house and my day job at work has also been busy. I can't seem to shake off this aching....it seems to stem from the top of my spine (the big hard bone) as its tender if I press it....it comes and goes.... I wonder if I have trapped a nerve since using my tablet I had for christmas as I tend to hold it up (and it can be quite heavy after a while) I have stopped this now.....I do not want to take ibuprofen as I've had tummy issues and have food intollerances since an intestinal bug.....anyone experience this type of aching and any suggestions...I do use a heated pad which helps a bit but not possible at work...it does ease at night. many thanks......

Re: Neck and shoulder ache

I have terrible pains in the same area and I go for physiotherapy every few weeks. I know that I find it hard to relax my neck and shoulders and always have them tensed up which of course makes it work. I guess holding your tablet is what has made it so bad.
    Heat pads are good and massaging with a muscle ointment with help.

I often get a stiff neck and shoulders (I think my posture is terrible plus sitting in front of the computer everyday oww) I find gentle and regular exercise of the area works wonders plus the steam of a really hot shower works wonders for me. I'm like you and can't tolerate ibruprofen. Though I tend to stay away from painkillers for muscle pain as I've found gentle exercise or stretching tends to do the trick for me. I agree with Annie about muscle ointment too, I've heard good things about tiger balm

My neck arthritis has similar but not so serious problems. An NHS physiotherapist gave me exercise and suggested that I use neck heating pad. These have changed a lot and I will use them whenever the problem recurs. Keep exercising your neck and hope you get well soon.

Thread Information