Thread: Reverse SAD

Reverse SAD

I have been researching this and I think I may suffer from it...
    I live in the South East and I know most of the UK today has high temperatures and sunshine.
    Each time this sort of weather comes around, I feel sad and depressed. It's very difficult because everyone around me is loving it and doesn't understand why I would feel this way.
    It's extremely hard to put into words but I think with anxiety, it's the big changes that effect me the most. Everyone seems to put on a "happy face" in the summer and want stand out...whereas during the autumn and winter, most people are feeling down themselves because of the weather and other factors so I can kind of blend in...if that makes any sense?
    I enjoy dark evenings too.

Anyone else similar to this? I feel like a freak but I keep checking the weather ahead for the week in a panic, hoping it will be raining or colder...:(

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Reverse SAD

Hi, I know how you feel. I too get anxious about big changes with the weather and pretty much any change in my life. I suffer from GAD, when I last saw my therapist they suggested treatments for SAD but have not been diagnosed with SAD. Maybe you should talk to a GP or therapist about treatments for SAD ?, just a suggestion you can still suffer from SAD in warm/ bright weather. Last year the warm weather in the summer made me feel exactly how you felt today. I don't get out much and have social anxiety and OCD so when we had the heatwave last year it made me very irritable and frustrated it was making me feel uncomfortable at night and sweating all the time. I just hope this years summer is not as bad. I thought today was ok but if it continues into next week I'll definitely notice an increase in my anxiety but last winter I was getting down due to not getting out much and it been dark most of the time so I suppose maybe I don't suffer with SAD and maybe Im just moaning about the weather
    Its worth you checking for treatments for SAD in warmer weather good luck

Re: Reverse SAD

I feel the exact same way. In fact I was starting to think I was the only one who suffered from this version of SAD because you never hear about people feeling worse in the summer.

For me I think I hate this time of year because when its bright and sunny outside, more people tend to be outside and that makes my panics worse because ever since I developed panic attacks, I have a fear of crowds. I think the heat doesn't help too because you feel all clammy enough when you are having a panic. My fear of bees and wasps probably doesn't help either!

Thread Information