Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 1 about to begin!

Day 1 about to begin!

Hi

I have just collected my prescription and day 1 will soon begin. I was on sertraline for 3 months and my anxiety and depression just got worse. I have been taken off them and now I am ready to begin my next journey. 20mg daily of fluoxetine.

Anyone have any advice? I would be interested to know if anyone has any thoughts about when it is best to take them?

Thanks.

Re: Day 1 about to begin!

Best of luck to you richrocks Generally if sertaline doesn't suit a person, fluoxetine will, and vice versa, so hopefully you will see positive results this time around.

It is difficult to advise when is best to take fluoxetine as it does vary from person to person. Most people tend to recommend taking them in the morning as it can cause problems sleeping. However, I personally found that I have more trouble sleeping if I take them in the morning and no trouble at all if I take them right before bed! The best thing to do is try one thing. If it doesn't work, try the other.

Do make sure you take them with a fair amount of water, not just one mouthful - they can cause reflux.

Other than that, the only advice I can give you is to give them a chance to work Which it sounds like you are definitely open to! Again, good luck.

I take mine first thing, I have never taken them later on in the day so I can't advice as to the best time to take. Keep us posted how you get on and there are a few of us around to help you with any questions.

Good luck richrocks!
    I was on sertraline (first 50mg, then 75) for 3 months for anxiety and depression as well, it helped the anxiety but not the depression, plus I had horrible side-effects. I switched to fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago and I feel a lot better, and had no side-effects at all apart from feeling thirsty.
    My doctor advised me to take it in the morning because it can be quite 'activating' and keep you awake if you take it at night, but I have also heard that for some people it can make them sleepy at first so the best way will be to try it and see, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by anthrokid View Post
    Generally if sertaline doesn't suit a person, fluoxetine will, and vice versa, so hopefully you will see positive results this time around.
    Really? I find this very interesting! Do you have any idea why that is? *nerd alert*

thanks so much for your comments. Day 1 has been fine. I took it in the morning. Lots of water. No problems all day. Fingers crossed for a successful solution.

Great to hear! Keep us updated!

I hope day two went as good as day one.

Yes so far so good. I woke up early this morning but I was happy to get up before my alarm. I have been fine all day but tonight I have gone super tired and I am heading to bed! But that's fine too!

one little thing i have noticed i that suddenly I am freezing cold all the time!

Great to hear richrocks - sounds like you're adjusting quite well. Interesting about being freezing all the time. Interestingly, chills are a side effect of fluoxetine in some people, so that may explain why you are freezing all the time. It may also just be an initial reaction to the medication while your body adjusts to different chemical levels - after a few days this may subside when your body finds a balance

Stella, I wish I could tell you why, but I'm not actually sure! I know I've read this before in various journals throughout my studies, but I'll be damned if I can actually remember a reason for it. I suppose it's probably more to do with different chemicals that the body reacts to. But that's just a guess. I study the psychology/mental aspect, not the pharmacological side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information