Thread: frequent urination

frequent urination

i first posted on here last week around the time i got put on sertraline and i was urinating quite frequently last weekend so sunday nite i went to the hospital and then to my docs the morning after and the urine sample the hospital took they told me it was fine they couldnt find anything in it and they told me if i was diabetic or had a uti it would have showed up and the doctor the day after said the same. it seems to have come back again since yesterday when i keep urinating all the time again maybe every 40-45 mins yet i dont know what else to do after the hospital tested it last week and they seemed to think everything was ok. i dont know if anxiety can cause this but i keep thinking there is something wrong although with all the blood tests and stuff i have had dine nothing to my knowledge has pointed towards anything, but surely if there was something wrong with any blood tests i have had then something would have showed up. the only thing different recently was i had a problem eating and didnt want food but they have been messing about with my thyroxine alot putting the dosage up and down this last 6 months and just recently started taking omeprazole in the last few months and then sertraline for about 2 weeks. i dont know if anxiety can cause frequent urination but they tell me they cant find anything else so dont know what it could be.

Re: frequent urination

Hi, a week ago I experienced very excessive urination. At one point it was twice in ten minutes! I also have had tests for diabetes in the last few months and a urine test last week- all clear! My opinion Is it happened because I was highly anxious. It seems to calm down when I'm not as stressed an increase when I'm anxious an also when I think about it. I always urinate frequently before bed an I think that is because Iv created a routine in my mind that I need to! I don't know how possible tht is but my doctor did say anxiety increases urination an it's a common side effect x

thank you for the reply mgw, like i say they tested the urine last week and it was ok the hospital said and i think with all the blood tests i have had if i had diabetes they said they would have found out, i do panic alot and have anxiety but if the docs say they think everything is ok then i will try to keep thinking positive but it is difficult when i want to urinate all the time but i will try to relax more, ty mgw.

We urinate more when anxious, it can make you need to go to the toilet more often for no1 and no2 haha. You're probably experiencing this because you're anxious.. getting anxious because you think something serious is wrong.. and it's happening more, due to heightened anxiety.

I've had health anxiety too.. No one can guarantee you'll never get ill - but right now, you are fine.

As your doctor eliminated physical issues, that leaves anxiety as the most likely culprit.

From the symptoms link:

Kidneys, urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the toilet

What you feel:

You have an urgent need to go to the toilet, even though you may have just gone. Starts decreasing urine output but initially wants to get rid of everything already waiting to be excreted. May need to visit the loo urgently.

What causes this:

High stress biology produces the need to eliminate. It does so because when the body prepares for action, it wants to eliminate all waste matter in order to make the body as well prepared for action as possible. Having all excess baggage removed, the individual will be at their peak readiness in order to 'fight or run' - the 'fight or flight' response, produced by the Emergency alarm.
    This symptom is very common and often experienced by stage performers just before they are to perform. Unfortunately, for those who experience anxiety disorder, a high level of stress biology will produce this symptom, and as long as the stress biology is high, the symptom will be produced. That's just how the body was engineered.

Some remedies include ant-acids, diarrhea medication, relaxation and deep breathing.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

thanx for the reply rubicon, i think over this past few years with all the tests and scans i have had done i have had anxiety and so many symptoms, as of yet i have not had them all at once and the frequent urination is one what just started last weekend, and seemed to have come back yesterday. other days i have had different symptoms, i just hope i can stop going too the loo all the time after i drink something. i will keep trying to relax thanx rubicon.

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

thank you fishmanpa

Almost definitely anxiety related. You can however try out Kegel excercises, just out of curiosity - I bet they'll help you a lot, not only by strenghtening your PC muscle (the one you stop the urine flow with), but also with gaining confidence in your bladder control, lol.

There's tons of tools and applications that can help you with the Kegels - for example, one is called Kegel Muscle workout, from the designers Happbit, which enables you to organize your own time schedule for repetitions. Good luck.

ok thanx notcool.

Thread Information