Thread: Cant stop checking

Cant stop checking

Hi

My current fear is ovarian C. It's been on my mind for weeks and is really getting me down.
    Along with this fear, I've now developed this urge like feeling to check for anything 'abnormal' around my ovary area. Last night I woke up at 5am, and began examining again. I thought I felt something a little harder on the right side than on the left, so now I'm panicking.
    My doctor did do an abdominal exam by feeling around the other week, but I don't know if she felt around there?
    I'm now debating booking another appointment to have another doctor have a feel (I won't get in to see my usual GP for about 2 weeks probably).
    I don't even know what I'm feeling for, or what would feel abnormal. I've done it loads of times and been sort of satisfied, but last night I thought I felt 'something'.
    Finding this one really difficult :(

Re: Cant stop checking

Ovarian cancer is insidious meaning it had no symptoms until it spreads to another area. You cannot feel ovarian cancer from the outside. I don't know how old you are but unless you are 60 you have about as much chance of having ovarian cancer as you do of getting struck by lightning.

Ah LF87 please try not to worry, I'm also fretting about the same thing due to pains. I'm sure when the doctor examined you she would have felt around that area and mentioned if anything felt untoward.
    I thought I could feel something hard but I think it was just a muscle but it was enough to send me spiralling. Ask for a second opinion if you're concerned just to put your mind at rest. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for these replies.
    RoseEve, I'm 26. I know it's really rare in my age group, that's what my doctor said when I saw her last. She felt around and said there were no 'masses', so I guess in my head I thought I'd just do a double check, that turned into a million checks, searching for a 'mass'.
    3tikes, I've made another appointment but with a different doctor. I'm worrying now incase she spots something dodgy.
    Where are the ovaries exactly? I showed my mum the area I thought it was but she reckons that's too high! Shows how much I know x

I totally get where you are coming from.

I have worried about ovarian cancer so much and now I have constant pain in my tummy that worry is back. The ovaries are quite low more toward the pelvic area I think.

I am 28 and back to the doctors Thursday :(

Thanks kirstynic. It's a horrible worry isn't it. It's a gorgeous day, and despite trying to push it out of my head all I keep thinking is, what if it is bad. What if you're right. I've got a docs appointment for Friday, gonna be hard waiting.
    I've not had tummy pains but I feel like I have achey pains in the right side of my groin. This sort of thing had never crossed my mind until I read about the symptoms. Now it's my main focus. It's kicked me into a full diet and fitness regime, because I'm worried my tummy fat is in fact bloating, but my doctor says it's not bloat, it's just a bit of fat, which I'm now trying to prove to myself.
    Finding the checking thing really horrible though. It's like this need to do it all the time when I'm on my own. I don't think you can even necessarily feel your ovaries can you?
    My doctor examined me a few weeks ago, abdominal and pelvic I think, because I'd told her about my ovarian worry. She also said it's the type of cancer that, once you have the symptoms, you're usually pretty poorly, especially with feelings of nausea and appetite loss. But then I always refer back to my trusty fountain of knowledge in my own head, 'Yeah, but I read a story saying she had no symptoms'. It's really difficult.
    How can I rationalise? I need to remember my doctor has already felt my tummy but it's not stopping me prodding for myself.

Thread Information