Thread: 5mg diazepam - is that a strong dose?

5mg diazepam - is that a strong dose?

I have some diazepam for extreme anxiety. I wanted to take some last week but got too worried incase I felt drowsy, so I didn't bother. Today my anxiety is really high and I need something to take the edge off. I have 5mg tablets (only 4 of them for emergencies) however I'm worried they're going to be too strong for me. I've taken diazepam before, but it was around 18 months ago now, I took between 4 - 6mg and can remember feeling quite drowsy but I'm worried that one 5mg tablet now is going to cause me to become really drowsy, mainly because I haven't taken them for 18 months or so.

So my question is, is 5mg a strong dose? I really would like the edge taken off my anxiety today but I'm so worried about feeling really drowsy or out of control? Thanks.

Re: 5mg diazepam - is that a strong dose?

5mg is not a big dose but if you are worried about drowsiness why not take half of the 5mg, you could always take the other half if needed.
    In my experience diazepam can make you feel sleepy but not out of control.

Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by laura1200 View Post
    I have some diazepam for extreme anxiety. I wanted to take some last week but got too worried incase I felt drowsy, so I didn't bother. Today my anxiety is really high and I need something to take the edge off. I have 5mg tablets (only 4 of them for emergencies) however I'm worried they're going to be too strong for me. I've taken diazepam before, but it was around 18 months ago now, I took between 4 - 6mg and can remember feeling quite drowsy but I'm worried that one 5mg tablet now is going to cause me to become really drowsy, mainly because I haven't taken them for 18 months or so.

So my question is, is 5mg a strong dose? I really would like the edge taken off my anxiety today but I'm so worried about feeling really drowsy or out of control? Thanks.
    Starting dosage (Is usually 2.5mg) 5mg is at the lower/middle spectrum.
    Last edited by K-OSS; 05-04-14 at 16:19.
    Disclaimer: Take my comments only as non-medical personal opinion and not as a qualified medical opinion. Always seek qualified medical advice from your GP before accepting anyone's opinion online.

I take 5mg for flying and it does not make me drowsy just calm. It will make you feel better im sure x

I just finished posting this same thing ... I was prescribed Valium 5mgs a few days ago to ease my jaw, since it's suspected I have TMJ. I have never been prescribed a benzo before. I took the first dose shortly before bedtime and didn't notice any effects aside from a very good night's sleep.

The other day, after feeling horribly anxious, I decided to take two doses, ten mgs. Within twenty minutes I was very tingly, which was surprising since I had researched that Valium usually takes an hour to have its full effect. I thought that in another twenty minutes I would be GONE.

Well, I wasn't. In fact, the tingling passed shortly thereafter and it was like I hadn't taken anything at all. I stayed up for a few more hours after that and felt nothing. Maybe it quelled my anxiety some but as far as any physical effects there was nothing. I did get another good night's sleep, though.

Everyone reacts to drugs differently but this is from someone who also has zero experience with benzos and therefore no tolerance. A lot of what I've read is that Valium is a very light drug compared to Xanax, Klonapin, etc.

I take 5mg at night when i get into bed to get a good nights sleep as i have ibs c and its the only time i can get away from it!

It is really low, I took equiv of 20-30 mg of Lorazepam for three years but had a hell of a time with wd so back on it until I can get on an AD that actually works for anxiety.

---------- Post added at 08:09 ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 ----------

5mg would not even touch me but I am tall and have high tolerance to benzos.

I take 1 mg of Lorazipam in the morning when I get up and have done for months , would I notice anything if I just stopped taking it as don't think it really helps anyway ?

Thread Information